New small business.

Bob The Dog

I've just handed in my notice at work where I am a senior manager with a large transport company, so that I can process and sell firewood. Your business will take time to build up and you may need some regular income in the mean time. I aim to work with Aldi on the shop floor to keep the wolf from the door. You need to pursue your dreams, whilst providing for you and your family. Hire equipment for particular jobs. Good luck.

Nice to see loads of positive comments and support. If you never try, you'll never know. Managed to get a greenmech cs100 18hp chipper, so all systems go. At the moment, it's more for the love of tree and outdoors work, rather than a whole new career, so it's going to fit in around my day job. Really looking forward to getting it up and running. Lucky enough to have in-laws with barns and space, so an opportunity to season logs and make some winter money too. Hoping my little lad will be a helper in some way too!!

Good to hear mate, don't be put off by the sceptics. It's better to try and fail than to live your whole life wondering what if.

Someone told me that it takes 3 years to get established, the first year you will likely make a loss, then break even second year, if you're still in it after the 3rd year then you have a chance of cracking it. I'm in my first 6 months and it's pretty tough I'll admit!