milling hawthorn?

teepeeat

Hadnt thought about thin stickers - any danger of restricting airflow too much?

Should be fine with what you're thinking of doing. Yes - there is a risk if you make the stickers too thin, but it depends a bit on how wide the boards are too. If you are milling something around a foot across, and only stacking as a single width, you should be fine with 3/8" or 1/2" stickers. You could drop to 1/4" if you wanted, but it gets tricky to keep the boards apart if they aren't flat. Milling in Autumn I would go with 1/2" - or if you have wide boards (18" or so) then 5/8" or 3/4". It won't dry too fast at that time of year so you actually want to make sure it isn't too slow, so that it is as dry as possible by Spring.

Alec

alec's pretty much spot on there.

you should be able to get away with 3/8" or 1/2" stickers and as alec says, cover it and keep it out of the wind.

i would also seal the ends of the boards with a couple of coats of pva or other sealing solution.

if i've been given bits like strawberry tree which splits badly then i kept them in a shed to stop the wind altogether but i don't think hawthorn is quite as bad as strawberry tree.

cheers Steve/Alec

will have to get on to Rob for the gear and get cracking although it will be October before I can get to it. Got to get the 076 fettled as well.

Hopefully get some pictures up once I am done.

Got a half decent stick of ash to do as well to get me into the swing.