Disco 3 & 4

Daniel Jiggins

Had a d3 with a rattle on top of the engine and went back, apparantly its the fins in the side of the air box. They just took them out and fine.

Egr went at about 100k, blanked it off. Compressor and seemed to be very heavy on brake light bulb consumption.

Uncle has a d4 and handbrake isnt the best, occasionly make a nasty grinding noise.

But having said that both good trucks.

As for vw's wouldnt have one if you paid me to have one.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a RR Sport, had it 2 and a half years.

I'd heard all the scare stories!

I've spent £560 on it in that time, 3 tyres and brakes all round last month.

I tow my 3 ton Cat and my 7.5m caravan with it. It's an amazing vehicle!

I've also had it places my pimped up Hilux wouldn't go!

I have found it very capable at pulling trailers across mud even with road tyres on rivers, mountains, desserts as long as not longer than 5 miles, no problem M25 forget it. :biggrin:

Had a d3 with a rattle on top of the engine and went back, apparantly its the fins in the side of the air box. They just took them out and fine.

Egr went at about 100k, blanked it off. Compressor and seemed to be very heavy on brake light bulb consumption.

Uncle has a d4 and handbrake isnt the best, occasionly make a nasty grinding noise.

Got to admit my D3 does go through a lot of brake light bulbs, my mechanic charges £1 to replace both, so not a major issue, IMO.

Hi AGI on a d3 EGR you have to map it out to I'm told what wrong with Vw then thanks Jon

The nasty grinding noise could be the hb actuator pulling too much cable in. Worth getting the brakes serviced and adjusted before it jams solid and u need a new unit. Look on the net for the bodsy brake bible big help. The handbrake needs loads of looking after.

I'm still driving around with the radio off just waiting for the first sound to appear.

Hopefully I will be lucky!

Drives great but has high miles, Time will tell.

Part of the problem with mine could have been the first owner was too lazy to take it in during warranty and get it done. After 100 k most things have settled down and been done. You wont hear most problems you will feel them through the seat or steering wheel. If it feels right and the tyres are worn evenly it is right. Most independants have the software for the d3 but not many have for d4 2010 onwards.

Part of the problem with mine could have been the first owner was too lazy to take it in during warranty and get it done. After 100 k most things have settled down and been done. You wont hear most problems you will feel them through the seat or steering wheel. If it feels right and the tyres are worn evenly it is right. Most independants have the software for the d3 but not many have for d4 2010 onwards.

It's on 129k Got full history and bills for new compressor, Bushes Belts and tensioners etc

Steering is spot on and tyres even so fingers crossed.

I tried 4 D3's and this had the highest mileage but drove by far the best.

I took it to my mate with the laptop and he did something to the egr anyway.

Uncles disco making the noise, as he said, oh well its under warranty.

Has anyone had any trouble with ground clearance?

As for vw's.... Well..... Had a brand new van 3 years ago and basically the long and the short of it is i have replaced it with another van, not a vw, and swore to the sales manager i will never go into any of their dealerships ever again. There are only two good vw vans. One is a burning one and the other one is one just falling out of a scrap baler.