"Arborists" in accidental ring barking during Ivy removal

raafbeard

Thanks for the suggestions Guys!! Had to google "sphagnum" :blushing:

If I was close and could monitor the tree I may be tempted to try out the bridge grafting - but I can't see my amateur first attempt at this being successful...?

The tree is also getting to a size where I think they will want it reducing before long...Already priced to fell - not a particularly special example but

would have been nice whilst it had full vigour!!

Looked at a silver birch today which was apparently dying back from no obvious cause. Initially I was struggling to understand why there was significant dieback on all of the limbs and the top of the crown...

Then I saw a chainsaw cut in the butt of the stem...I reckon a year maybe two old - followed said cut completely around the butt and about 8mm into the cambium layer :scared1: - on further inspection we found two more complete circles cut around the butt.

Questioning the owner he advised that he'd had a conifer removed by what seemed to be a professional outfit - sign written van etc etc...He then explained that whilst they were there they had offered to remove some ivy from the silver birch as it would have been "strangling the tree"..The ivy was at best 10mm diameter and not very dense barely warranted a silky to remove it.

I can only assume the respectable Tree Surgeons had done this intentionally with a view to dropping by later on to fell the dead birch :thumbdown:

Maybe this is a common trick but I haven't seen it that bad before and it just reminded me what we are up against and how low some people will stoop to make some fairly easy money...:sad:

That sounds genius, im going to do that the next time I get a chance!

• 10 months later...

If there is no evidence of it healing on it's own 2 years afterwards and there are multiple collars on the stem I really wouldn't bother with trying to graft across the cambium.

Endophytic fungi are probably already starting their decay strategy.

I heard a story a few months back that down in cormwall (I think) landowners who realy wanted land for house but couldnt becuse trees had TPO etc so they got someone in and paid apparantley handsome monney for someone to ringbark the tree then they can get permission to take it down.

Bistardos:thumbdown:

That is REALLY sheisty. I've known English Ivy (VERY invasive here, breaks trees in half.) that you could actually spur into (8"+ dia). but I've only ever hand-sawed them out. one guy I know is pretty Chainsaw crazy, but not stupid like that...

dumbass f'rs.