Coastal Tree Service - poplar

RC0

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive vid Reg.

I'd love to see some of the bits people don't tend to film though.

Method of access,

Retrieving the rigging line (must be fun on such a big tree)

Getting out and tying the rigging line.

Seems like all the vids recently are just of cutting, and there's so much more to it than that!

Hope you don't mind me saying :)

Maybe one day I'll film something half decent myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks a lot:thumbup1:

The tree was around 130....Id think thats pretty accurate.

I favored DdRT on that tree because I was on spurs and I have a spiderjack. With so much height the rope falls through the device beautifully. If Id been pruning that tree Id have used the ropewrench no question.

The rings are great. They are not better or worse than using a block, just different. On such a tall tree like that it was better to have a little friction up top....with a pulley Id have the weight of 100ft of rigging line pulling on me whenever I needed to move around with it. Not a big deal but when you have the gear at hand you choose the best option. We only ever used thimbles, carabiners and crotches to rig through my first 10 years in the job, and they worked fine back then....but the x rings are way tougher and more refined, weigh nothing and are comparatively cheap.

Joe I know what you mean about the editing. Its just that you're mindful to keep the video short and punchy. I can assure you everything on that day ran like clockwork....such was the structure of the tree, the weather, available hardware and the people involved. On a different day, cold and windy in the winter perhaps....it would've been horrible.

Thanks again

Easy tree mate ;) good work. (Come to Long Island for a week! :))

I'd love to Ben, but I can't afford any more time off. I think I'm going to England next month for the APF, and then Hartford not long after. You should come to Hartford (TCIA expo).

Reg, at 6-6.25secs you cut a piece and your are attached to a 2inch stub. You have your main line etc obviously, but I had to double take. I would have dropped side strop to next fork. If you look back at it, do you think that in hindsight you would have repositioned? Or genuinely not phased by it?

It must be a confidence thing, but I hate the thought of slipping off little stubs. Especially if the tree jerks through lowering or the weight loss of limb causing some stem shake. The first is confidence in ground crew not putting the anchors on the lowering rope, but the second is probably familiarity with such situations or lack of on such sizeable trees.

Many will probably not see any problem, but it made my stomach wince and my smoked salmon began to digest a lot quicker at the prospect of being in that exact situ.

As for retrieving rigging line etc, do you often attach it to your main line to enable you to hoist up directly to your particular position in the tree?

Also reg, what was the title of that video you did when you had to insert loads of round type hooks in timber to attach the lowering rope to allow trunk to be lowered to? Was very tight site, think was in the uk, and some time ago. Just interested to have a look as have similar job to do.