Awkward people!!

hamdogg

Done a nice little site clearance today, four big conifers and a few sycamores, fella who has bought the site checked all tpos and conservation areas all clear!! But the angry neighbour up the road wasn't happy!! Walking round the site taking photos!! Busy bodies!!!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Done a nice little site clearance today, four big conifers and a few sycamores, fella who has bought the site checked all tpos and conservation areas all clear!! But the angry neighbour up the road wasn't happy!! Walking round the site taking photos!! Busy bodies!!!!!

Had similar recently . Taking down one ugly conifer and two nice looking maples . All on grass verge but not highway trees . They belonged to the property . TPO either side but not on theses . Bloke drives up saying we are in big trouble as trees are TPOed I politely tell him they are not . He says we have been hoodwinked as they all are . He drives off , comes back flashing some kind of ID . Takes down our registrations and creates a big stink saying he is reporting us . We get on to the LA and explain whats happened they say your ok ( we knew we were ) also they have had dealings with him before . Complete wanker !

Had similar recently . Taking down one ugly conifer and two nice looking maples . All on grass verge but not highway trees . They belonged to the property . TPO either side but not on theses . Bloke drives up saying we are in big trouble as trees are TPOed I politely tell him they are not . He says we have been hoodwinked as they all are . He drives off , comes back flashing some kind of ID . Takes down our registrations and creates a big stink saying he is reporting us . We get on to the LA and explain whats happened they say your ok ( we knew we were ) also they have had dealings with him before . Complete wanker !

Hi Stubby, that wasn't in Midhurst was it?

I was quoting in Midhurst last year and I was accosted by some moron giving me the third degree how all us tree people are bastards and the lowest of the low. My wife was with me helping me find the trees (terrible site plan) and he started on her, suffice to say he was told in no uncertain terms to jolly well go away before if nose starts bleeding........

Hi Stubby, that wasn't in Midhurst was it?

I was quoting in Midhurst last year and I was accosted by some moron giving me the third degree how all us tree people are bastards and the lowest of the low. My wife was with me helping me find the trees (terrible site plan) and he started on her, suffice to say he was told in no uncertain terms to jolly well go away before if nose starts bleeding........

No Andrew , it was in Eastergate area . Tried to find out more about him but he has pissadeered !

We've had a few over the years; many years ago I was threatened with 'I'll bring a ton of bricks down on you if I find out those trees were protected'; note he didn't know either way.... (they weren't by the way).

The most recent involved a client wishing to work on 2 neighbouring oaks. Now we get the trees owner to sign a letter, detailing the tree work, saying they are happy with what we are proposing, the tree owner did and my guys duly turned up to do the work. Thirty minutes in I get a call saying the guys changed his mind; I role up on site, have a chat and the guy says he didn't have his glasses on when he signed the letter; we arrange a new specification. I go back on to the site I'm surveying only to get another call from my guys saying he's changed his mind again; I role up for the second time and sure enough the guys changed his mind. Incredible.......

We've had a few over the years; many years ago I was threatened with 'I'll bring a ton of bricks down on you if I find out those trees were protected'; note he didn't know either way.... (they weren't by the way).

The most recent involved a client wishing to work on 2 neighbouring oaks. Now we get the trees owner to sign a letter, detailing the tree work, saying they are happy with what we are proposing, the tree owner did and my guys duly turned up to do the work. Thirty minutes in I get a call saying the guys changed his mind; I role up on site, have a chat and the guy says he didn't have his glasses on when he signed the letter; we arrange a new specification. I go back on to the site I'm surveying only to get another call from my guys saying he's changed his mind again; I role up for the second time and sure enough the guys changed his mind. Incredible.......

Sounds like a ball ache!!

Sounds like a ball ache!!

You have no idea; what made it worse was my client had found out a few months earlier that he had cancer, had had treatment and was very slowly recovering, the last thing he wanted was stress and his neighbour heaped a shed load on him:thumbdown:

Had an interesting 'chat' with a nosy neighbour earlier this year too; I rolled up on site, the trees owner was away but I had a full spec, the neighbour turns up questioning who I was and bearing in mind my company is printed all over the van I thought this was a daft question.

I pointed out that I was to look at a bit of tree work at which point they get shirty, 'what's going on, why, what the hell do they think they're doing blah, blah, blah'.

I didn't say anything, told them to talk to their neighbours when they get back to which they start taking photos of me and my van; so I start taking photos of them in return, that didn't go down very well but what the hell:lol:

they start taking photos of me and my van; so I start taking photos of them in return, that didn't go down very well but what the hell:lol:

I like that! The other way of dealing with such situations, as I learned in a former life, is to go overboard with offering what they want; offer to line up all the guys in front of the truck for a pic, 'would you like my card?', 'may I give you a guided tour of my worksite?'

They know you're taking the p1ss but it's in a way that's beyond reproach. What gets them is that you're not wound up by them.

they start taking photos of me and my van; so I start taking photos of them in return, that didn't go down very well but what the hell:lol:

I do that as well. I usually just say "Video is running so please mind your language".

That really sets them off! Or they walk off quickly.

Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

We had a similar issue on a site last year , the instruction was to clear the 8 hectare site of all scrub vegetation including roughly an acre of woodland and to remove any dead,dying trees from the internal hedges , this was all ok with the LA , however as soon as we started the forest mulcher we had a visit from the angry neighbour insisting that the works were not legal and that we were on his land , this caused a delay in getting the site cleared but never the less justice prevailed when my client returned with his solicitor and a council planner . It turns out that as expected we were working legally however the angry neighbour had been naughty and had been fly tipping no end of waste including dog truffles and various other nasties ! He was then ordered to clear the mess up or find the council carrying out the works and charging him .

Sometimes the angry neighbour gets more than he bargained for