how much oil should come off the guide bar?

JosephD

i have a husqvarna t540xp top handle chainsaw and the first time i fired it up and did my pre-start checks it there was lots of oil coming round the chain and was covering all the inside of the side plate , so i turned the oil flow screw all the way round to reuce the oil flow and that was that problem sorted.

i turned the chainsaw oil flow screw all the way round so it could not go any further and now when i check the oil on the saw when i first start it up i can see it but is there a certain amount that should come off? or is it ok just to be able to see it coming off?

impossible to say exactly how much oil should be coming off as a lot will depend on the quality of oil you use and its viscosity. This will also vary according to the weather conditions.

Should be reasonably easy to tell if its oiling enough by feeling the bar. If its over hot and the chain is loosing quickly then it needs more oil.

As a rough guide, I expect my saws generally use about 2/3 a tank of chain oil to each tank of fuel.

ash will suck the oil off of your bar, as others have said never let your chain oil run out before your fuel,pita i know but regulate your oil flow for different types of wood, good rule of thumb like spud said, you should see a thin line of oil appear when you run the saw near a log etc

As a rough guide, I expect my saws generally use about 2/3 a tank of chain oil to each tank of fuel.

It varies of couse, but at least it should be over halv a tank, and of course it should run out of gas before it runs out of oil.

Newer Stihl saws tends to have the more restrictive oilers.