scythe mowers

dogman

I should add that I was given the Allen Scythe in question by Geoff, with full warning of what it would do, and I do get a certain masochistic pleasure out of using it :blushing: It is also ultra-reliable, will tolerate serious abuse and is always there as back-up. It's a 2-stroke and runs very nicely on Aspen.

At least on the model I have the clutch is pulled up to engage - I believe there is a brilliantly designed one with a fail-dangerous feature, where if the clutch lever drops down out of the gate it sets off on its own!

Alec

Edited by agg221

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Allen Mayfield Hydrostatic which is like an Allen scythe on steroids. I can vouch for the contrariness of the breed! And if you use the difflock as well.... put it this way - I'd like to see a video of it!!

As has been said they will cut anything that can get between the fingers, BUT if the ground surface is rough i.e. lumpy or tussocky it will be seriously hard work. If the surface is flat (or plane to be accurate because it'll cut slopes you can ardly stand up on) then it's fine. However cutting 3ft plus rushes all with tussock roots, or white grass which also grows in tussocks, then expect to do some serious sweating.

Try hiring one from a plant hire company before buying one so you can find out if it'll be the right machine for the job in future cuts.

My mate hired a modern version of one from our local hire company last winter to cut a overgrown flood meadow and I did most of the cutting with it. The ground was reasonably level apart from old ruts and thick tussocks from overgrown clumps of sedge.

It was hard work to control and we broke it twice over the weekend but the hire company managed to fix it on the first day by taking parts off a rotavator which was just the same machine with a different implement fitted.

They are good if you have got long vegetation to cut and can't get a tractor onto the site because of access or ground conditions and are wanting to rake off the cut material.

I have also used them to cut reedbeds and scrub on chalk downland.

Anyone use one ? or recommend a make/model ?. I have a large rough(very)area to cut, they want it done twice a year & its not been done for a few years, so would appreciate some advice.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

Hi Rob

We had a scagg 36" flail mower it had the fat bar type flails on it so it mulched what it was cutting. Little or no raking up afterwards.Walk behind 16hp. Wheels were driven by hydraulic pumps. It would fly through chest high brambles etc.. But also cut grass to an acceptable level and even leave stripes. Probably the most versatile mowing machine there is. IMO.

Thanks,

Ti

Just fancied some fat bars as well !.

Thanks again for the input folks. after listening to advice I've gone away from the idea of a scythe mower.

I've put my bid in to do the job, & will hire something(possibly a grillo climber), in my quote, I've quoted to just cut it, do it twice a year & also to do it once a month, if they want it done once a month I will then buy a walk behind flail mower or similar.

Rob

I should add that I was given the Allen Scythe in question by Geoff, with full warning of what it would do, and I do get a certain masochistic pleasure out of using it :blushing: It is also ultra-reliable, will tolerate serious abuse and is always there as back-up. It's a 2-stroke and runs very nicely on Aspen.

At least on the model I have the clutch is pulled up to engage - I believe there is a brilliantly designed one with a fail-dangerous feature, where if the clutch lever drops down out of the gate it sets off on its own!

Alec

Hi Alec,

Email me a picture of your Allen as I want to find the oldest machine running on Aspen.

[email protected]

Kind regards

Eddie

Back to the topic, I have a Honda powered BCS mower, and it's brilliant. It's controllable, it cuts, it stops cutting on demand, it goes forward anid reverses. It's reasonably economical, and will cut the biggest thistles and brambles in its path. It doesn't make you sweat to use it, it plods along cutting efficiently. I recently hired it out to a mate for £60 a day, and he was well pleased with the results.

Back to the topic, I have a Honda powered BCS mower, and it's brilliant. It's controllable, it cuts, it stops cutting on demand, it goes forward anid reverses. It's reasonably economical, and will cut the biggest thistles and brambles in its path. It doesn't make you sweat to use it, it plods along cutting efficiently. I recently hired it out to a mate for £60 a day, and he was well pleased with the results.

I have an Austrian and an English. With them I'm controlable, they cut, stop on demand, forward and reverse, side to side, use no fossil fuel, cut anything but they do make you sweat like a murderer on death row:001_smile: