driving a 5.5 tonne

jblackman&sons

We have a Iveco 4x4 5.5 ton on our Council and it needs an inspection every 6 weeks and it has just gone in for it's second MOT test which is carried out at the local VOSA depot. I can drive it as I passed my test in 1975. We don't need the Tacho as we only drive local. I think over 30 or maybe 50 miles you need the Tacho.

Hello everyone does anyone know the rules on driving a 5.5 tonne truck?

Thanks jon

Operators licence and the Preventive Maintenance Inspections that go with it.

Unless you only take tools which you are working with you within 50km you will need a tacograph and a certificate of professional competence after September.

A full B licence will cover you and a trailer up to a gross weight of 8.25 tonnes if you passed your test before 1997 otherwise you will need a trailer test.

Hello everyone does anyone know the rules on driving a 5.5 tonne truck?

Thanks jon

Operators licence and the Preventive Maintenance Inspections that go with it.

Unless you only take tools which you are working with you within 50km you will need a tacograph and a certificate of professional competence after September.

A full B licence will cover you and a trailer up to a gross weight of 8.25 tonnes if you passed your test before 1997 otherwise you will need a trailer test.

My earlier post needs editing as I didn't account for the vehicle having a MAM greater than 3500kg which isn't covered by a B licence granted after 1997

"A full B licence will cover you and a trailer up to a gross weight of 8.25 tonnes if you passed your test before 1997 otherwise you will need a trailer test and a C1 or C test to drive a vehicle with MAM of more than 3.5 tonnes"

Most of us with pre 1997 licences have a note 107 codacil on the C1+E reducing the GTW from 12000kg to 82500 kg

So with a pre 97, and a 7500kg truck you can only tow 750kg?

Nothing is simple is it!

We're looking to get a larger truck next year for which i will need further training ( post 97), just tempted to do the class 1 and be done it.

So with a pre 97, and a 7500kg truck you can only tow 750kg?

Nothing is simple is it!

We're looking to get a larger truck next year for which i will need further training ( post 97), just tempted to do the class 1 and be done it.

Not quite, if the MAM of the vehicle is 5.5 tonne with the 107 note you can still tow a 2.75 tonne trailer if the GTW of the vehicle allows it. Mind it's the MAM of the trailer which will count rather than its actual gross weight. This differs from what they will allow on a B licence and trailer where they consider the actual weight of the trailer, which I was unaware of prior to a posting on here a year of so ago.