Why does.................?

A little place to ask those inconsequential but irritatingly fundamental Tree biology questions.

Tbq Number 1 -

Why does common Lime have stomata on the upper leaf surface, whereby Trees including Hornbeam & Oak, have the stomata on the lower surface ?

Answers on a post card to...................well, here really :001_smile:

Interesting. Different niches exploited and different evolutionary paths followed i suppose. Willow and Poplars also have Stomata on the upper surface of their leaves.

The stomata on the upper surface of leaves generally have much smaller appatures than stomata on the underside of leaves and species like Ouercus robur have many more stomata of larger appeture on their leaves than common lime.

It may have some advantage in allowing more efficient cooling allowing leaves to stay more photosynthetically active in the scorching mid day sun, provided there is enough water available.

I would think that stomata on the underside of the leaf loose water at a slower rate to those on the upper surface it may be an advantage for trees such as willow to draw up large amounts of water quickly to modify there soil environment.

Maybe this helps Willows, Limes, Poplars to loose less functional xylem tissue when heavily reduced compared with species such as Oak where greater amounts of foliage are required to maintain functional xylem.

It's just one of those fascinating quirks of nature i guess. The 'epistomous condition' whereby the stomata is on the upper surface is found predominantly on floating aquatic plants (for obvious reasons). Why a common lime? Right i'm off now!

I know my neurological capacity, and the associated inability to chemically memorize ridiculous ammounts of data.

So, there's no late Doctorate in the offing for me.

But I also know, that to be a Tree Worker, demands an understanding of how and why a Tree works, from the very depths of the Rhizosphere all the way upto the extremities of the canopy at the micro leaf surface layer.

Bit by bit, with a little help and interaction from this fine community of ours, I fully intend to build up that picture.

Probably will have an epiphany just before my last breath. :001_tongue:

Interesting views Will :001_smile:

Found this experiment of interest.............

Leaf Stomata as Bioindicators of Environmental Change

But I also know, that to be a Tree Worker, demands an understanding of how and why a Tree works, from the very depths of the Rhizosphere all the way upto the extremities of the canopy at the micro leaf surface layer.

An understanding of how to get an 020 really sharp, and the ability to flop a big top into a small garden without damaging the fence has been more useful to me in my tree career thus far............