Fibre buckling or constriction - Opinions Please

Gary Prentice

As the title says, I can't make my mind up whether the growth is due to one or the other. The pictures are on the compression side of the trunk and the tension side has a quantity of small incremental growth strips visible for a metre or so above the protrusion.

Mallet sounding is inconclusive - to my ears.

Thoughts please

IMG_2181.JPG.40eb14428a00450a81ac430e33d71d36.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG.eab31bac491e7f8b51f74484ab4f3af0.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG.1f8ce43e29d1848d68f11fc4d508ac4f.JPG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fibre buckles, very very normal in mature phase birches

TBH that is my theory but due to what cause. My heads filled with bending theories of hollow trees, moments of inertia and all the other biomechanics etc so I'm puzzled as to why this occurs.

Not a dense canopy - so low wind loading, the tree is in a row and protected by larger/denser canopies so shouldn't theoretically be exposed to high stresses.

Writing this now, I'm wondering if the adjacent high canopies may be causing an increase in wind speed rather than providing shelter!

My ignorance is frustrating me:blushing:

:lol:I can imagine that is a pretty close repetition of his words too, after seeing and talking to him at Loughborough. A remarkable man.

If birches sacrifice defence mechanisms for faster growth, may it be a case that strength is sacrificed to a degree, with adaptive growth formed as and where necessary?

So much to learn.

:lol:I can imagine that is a pretty close repetition of his words too, after seeing and talking to him at Loughborough. A remarkable man.

If birches sacrifice defence mechanisms for faster growth, may it be a case that strength is sacrificed to a degree, with adaptive growth formed as and where necessary?

So much to learn.

but your mind is working down the right roads, youve got the measure of the reasons.