Apple imac 21-5

Johny Walker

Got my iMac in April. It's brilliant. Takes some getting used to from windows but it's all laid out better.

Noticed one of these little thunder flies under the glass last night though. Haven't a clue how it's got in! Will be going to apple with that dilemma! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406298778.813426.jpg.6eab4a450144d49b2be6bada3f33f56b.jpg

My 2012 MacBook Pro has got slow as a week in the jail, spinning beach ball is a familiar sight now.

Know they're different from pcs re defragging hd but anyone got any solutions? Someone told me to clear out iPhoto as if that is taking lot of memory will slow it down.

Thanks in advance

My 2012 MacBook Pro has got slow as a week in the jail, spinning beach ball is a familiar sight now.

Know they're different from pcs re defragging hd but anyone got any solutions? Someone told me to clear out iPhoto as if that is taking lot of memory will slow it down.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

If your Mac slows down, based on what you say above:

1. Clear your browser cache

2. Check you dont have too many programs running look for small triangle beneath icon in dock, right click & select quit

3. Delete any large data files you dont need ie check in downloads as that can fill up - if disk nearly full.

4 Download & run Onyx to flush the caches

5. Check task manager to see if a process isnt hogging CPU, re-boot if it is & see if it stops

6. Repair disk permissions, disk utility, under 'first aid' select the volume & click 'repair permissions' button

de-fragging your drive will help if badly fragmented & disk nearly full, makes some difference, but not as essential as with PC - you will need a program like Drive Genius or similar.

After that add ram & a fast SSD!

N

Edited by NFG

Thanks in advance

Spinning ball is the sign that you need to upgrade your physical memory and to carry out all of the above that NFG stated!

Pop onto the crucial memory website and that shall tell you how much memory you can add.

Deleting photographs will only free up physical hard drive space.

You could double check your trash can / recycle bin empty this because this can be a memory drain dependant upon which version of OS X you are using.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Greg

Thanks gents, some very good advice there. I'll go through your suggestions and see how get on.

Machine did parallels installed on it and I've always had suspicion that was slowing it down also so I "removed" as much of parallels as I could in absence of uninstall facility, or at least I couldn't find it.

Thanks gents, some very good advice there. I'll go through your suggestions and see how get on.

Machine did parallels installed on it and I've always had suspicion that was slowing it down also so I "removed" as much of parallels as I could in absence of uninstall facility, or at least I couldn't find it.

Hello,

I would try a re-boot, then look at Activity monitor to see if somethings hogging memory / CPU then try permissions repair as you may not have ever done it,

You could always prevent Parallels or any other program not considered essential to load at start up from loading at Log-in. For example I removed Drop box as I dont use it a lot.

To do this and check you dont have too much other stuff loading:

1. Click the apple icon top left of screen

2. select System Preferences...

3. Under System on the 4th row down click the Users & Groups icon - looks like two shadows

4. Select the user account & click login items top right

In the list of applications click select what you dont want to run at start up and click - to remove

If you remove app you need, click + & search for application to re-add

see screen dump

N

597669dc53a39_ScreenShot2014-07-28at19_37_07.png.afa14e5cc71a65d9d2af08e3d31012cd.png

Edited by NFG

Ok have done most of basic stuff above (haven't downloaded anything yet) and I'd say it's definitely running faster already.

I remember blitzing start up programs before but I can't get rid of the two remaining, Blackberry stuff is all uninstalled.

CPU usage is running about 10% split between 3% CPU/7% user

Thanks for all help, very much appreciated

597669dc6939f_Macbookscreenshot.jpg.282c108386c19d32cece28c6b72fe6ed.jpg

Hi

HP Event handler known processor hog, either download and install the relevant later software from HP for your printer or use the HP un install program to remove (as opposed to dragging it to trash bin).

sorry to hijack thread

N