Black oil

Hey chaps

some of you know me, been carving a couple of years now. thought i was getting better at this saw-lark BUT im having real problems with my new carving bar. Got a Sugi Hara, lovely bar. has a tip radius a bit smaller than the stihl bar and is reputably far tougher. Has a nicer profile too so I was dead keen to get one.

Problem is, its just producing black oil. the tip-cut is terrible ...just disnt seem to like cutting close to the tip, feels like its blunt even when new, even when sharpened.

So what have i tried?

first i went slow and easy for 20 minutes or more, new bar, let it bed in. it was overheating a lot so i rested it then gave it anoter 20 minuets easy going. still black oil... i

well, tried it loose, tried it v lose, tried it a bit tighter (this was an attempt to stop the dam black oil)

no change

when i got home I figured that MAYBE 'cos the tip radius is a little smaller than the stihl bar (and im using stihl chains) i might have to grind the heels off a bit as it MIGHT be riding the heels. this kinda makes sense as i have to do it with toonie bars using stock chains so I took a sander to the chain and dropped teh back of each tooth off. looks better but not really had a chance to try it properly. tried a few plunge cuts to see and it was overheating again but we all know that plunge cuts with a dime bar is a good way to cause heat

anyway, Ill give it a try tomorrow and see if it solves the problem BUT can anyone think of anything else i can try? Woodfest is only a week and a bit away and so if i cant fix the problem soon im gonna have to buy another dam stihl bar

oh..and before we get into a stihl/cannon/cheese/whoever discussion (you know who you are!) im looking for advice here on what i can try..please dont just say 'should have got a cheese bar'

:thumbup:

I shall refrain from the comment you know I want to make and try and be helpful. Try morris lubricants chainsaw oil. Its like snot. If you put a bit on your finger then touch another finger against it you can pull them apart and there will be a strand streching between them I would think this would leave a good layeron your chain and bar.if nothing else the black should stick to your bar rather than splatter onto your log.

Hey chaps

some of you know me, been carving a couple of years now. thought i was getting better at this saw-lark BUT im having real problems with my new carving bar. Got a Sugi Hara, lovely bar. has a tip radius a bit smaller than the stihl bar and is reputably far tougher. Has a nicer profile too so I was dead keen to get one.

Problem is, its just producing black oil. the tip-cut is terrible ...just disnt seem to like cutting close to the tip, feels like its blunt even when new, even when sharpened.

So what have i tried?

first i went slow and easy for 20 minutes or more, new bar, let it bed in. it was overheating a lot so i rested it then gave it anoter 20 minuets easy going. still black oil... i

well, tried it loose, tried it v lose, tried it a bit tighter (this was an attempt to stop the dam black oil)

no change

when i got home I figured that MAYBE 'cos the tip radius is a little smaller than the stihl bar (and im using stihl chains) i might have to grind the heels off a bit as it MIGHT be riding the heels. this kinda makes sense as i have to do it with toonie bars using stock chains so I took a sander to the chain and dropped teh back of each tooth off. looks better but not really had a chance to try it properly. tried a few plunge cuts to see and it was overheating again but we all know that plunge cuts with a dime bar is a good way to cause heat

anyway, Ill give it a try tomorrow and see if it solves the problem BUT can anyone think of anything else i can try? Woodfest is only a week and a bit away and so if i cant fix the problem soon im gonna have to buy another dam stihl bar

oh..and before we get into a stihl/cannon/cheese/whoever discussion (you know who you are!) im looking for advice here on what i can try..please dont just say 'should have got a cheese bar'

:thumbup:

I think I read on hear somewhere that the really small tip radius makes the back edge of the top plate rub . Could be that .....

thanks for teh comments (and well doen tom)

It seems the problem was solved by takign the heals off the teeth as i described. the bar was running lovely today and no black oil at all. Wish i had read that stubby, had to figure it out myself. so much for teh scientists brain, it took me all day cursing at the dam thing before i figured it out

anyway, the story has a happy ending. carving finished and i will post pics when i get them sorted

if you are looking for a bar with a lovely fine tip (R7 i believe) you cant go wrong with one of these. its about mid way between a standard stihl an d the samuri bar BUT as far as i can figure its MUUUUUUUCH stronger than either

price wise its about the same as a cheese bar, i mean a stihl bar but remember to grind teh heels off :P

cheers