Self Rescue

Rob Murf

Do you only climb with another competent climber.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only climb with another competent climber.

• Always
    • Mostly
    • Sometimes.
    • Rarely

No.... we will look at it from the thread title point of veiw, that is how I look at it.

For you to suggest that cost to us all is an issue is utter crock... :sneaky2:

You've missed the point. Nevermind. Keep tilting at those windmills.

Edit a lot of my posts for language do you tony ?????

I edit the posts that are in breach of the forum rules. Something I'd expect a member of your standing to be well aware of and perhaps not force me to do so by trying to give greater weight to your point by swearing.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(and subsequently having to edit another one of your posts for the language you knew would have to be edited :closedeyes:)

You've missed the point. Nevermind. Keep tilting at those windmills.

I edit the posts that are in breach of the forum rules. Something I'd expect a member of your standing to be well aware of and perhaps not force me to do so by trying to give greater weight to your point by swearing

Your first statement is suggestive that I am a regular offender for using bad language

Your second statement I have no idea what you mean so will take it as a sarcastic comment designed to wind me up. Which as a forum moderator is totally out of order.

Your third statement is my reaction to your rediculous statement in that somehow someone who is injured up a tree and doesn't have a rescue climber doesn't warrant tax payers money being spent on their rescue, treatment and recovery.

sorry dean dont quite understand that one:confused1:

He survived twenty five + years of climbing and tree work without injury but was killed on the ground (without a rescue climber) servicing his mog.

Life itself is dangerous, making sandwiches is dangerous.

I would, if I am the one up the tree, like to have the choice of whether I have a rescue climber or not and not be told or forced to do so.

I would, if I am the one up the tree, like to have the choice of whether I have a rescue climber or not and not be told or forced to do so.

:congrats:

That about sums it up for me along with whatever else I do.

It should also apply to employees IF they want to sign a disclaimer along with using type a when climbing etc etc.

He survived twenty five + years of climbing and tree work without injury but was killed on the ground (without a rescue climber) servicing his mog.

Life itself is dangerous, making sandwiches is dangerous.

ok i would agree with you on that

and say i would be happier to know that on the off chance that i need rescuing i had someone there even if it was not the done thing

a bit like i like to know the guy on the ground knows how to work the hand pump on the mewp to get it down if it needs it ?(dont think thats in the rules)

but i was glad when it happened

even though i dont like the thaught of being made to

Edited by Rod
more

Can I just add this.

Naming no names. I have a pal who is in the same job as me. He had a lad doing work experience from a well known arb college. The lad had his climbing / aerial rescue tickets and was on a 6 month work placement. My pal was covered under HSE guidelines and insurance etc because he had a certified "rescuer" on site. However, Lack of experience and confidence being a relative newcomer to the industry, this lad struggled to even prune an average 25ft cherry tree. So, when my pal is dismantling an 80ft pig of a beech tree, what use would the "rescuer" have been had an emergency situation arose. NONE. He may aswell not have the ticket. As Dean stated , theres alot of ticking boxes that mean absolutely diddly squat in a actual working situation. I have climbed many trees with no 2nd climber on site. I will again.

i tend to set an access line on larger trees and work with my friend who has 10 yrs experience, i do smaller trees with a non climbing groundies, i tend to use systems that allow me to decend from a pole with ease even if there is another climber present

i tend to set an access line on larger trees and work with my friend who has 10 yrs experience, i do smaller trees with a non climbing groundies, i tend to use systems that allow me to decend from a pole with ease even if there is another climber present

In other words you use your own intuition and common sense and do what you can to avoid "tricky" situations.