Self Rescue

Rob Murf

Do you only climb with another competent climber.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only climb with another competent climber.

• Always
    • Mostly
    • Sometimes.
    • Rarely

the first top i ever took out a tree was with a silky about 5 inches across, the hinge was perfect because i made myself practice with saplings at waist level trying out variations. but it got caught up, the but flew like a pendulum and the tips came crashing down on me knocking my hat off. i learnt a valuable lesson that day and never messed up since. now i use that technique to my advantage but wise enough to get my head out of the way.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the guys on here must have way bigger balls than me!!!:scared1:

If I like them thought I would EVER get myself into a position where I would need rescuing, I would not get a rescue climber, I would QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Every accident I have read about or heard of I have thought WHY on earth did they do that?????:confused1:

I read of a near miss where the guy was pulling the top out and his anchor point nearly went with it!!! WTF!!!!:confused1: I just don't work like that!!

Ok, it seems logical to me now that you should be the exception to this rule.

I hope one day I become as awesome at my job as you, where by it is now absolutley impossible that you could ever have an accident and require rescuing.

Untill then....

Edited by gibbon

Does my arguement make more sense if I use a larger font? Didn't think so...

I was referring to society as a whole and how it regulates individuals through various organisations / systems.

But don't let me get in the way of your HSE rant - would you like some time alone? :D

:blushing: Sorry Tony, but that argument really gets my goat, all my family are self employed and hard working, we pay our own way.

My dad is 66 and still working, he started work at 15 and has never had a penny in benefits.

I see fat slobs in the 30s who have never worked and are ridding round on scooter (because they are lazy, greedy slobs, not because of real illness) that my taxes have paid for!!!!!:mad1:

Does my arguement make more sense if I use a larger font? Didn't think so...

I was referring to society as a whole and how it regulates individuals through various organisations / systems.

But don't let me get in the way of your HSE rant - would you like some time alone? :D

Tony, your argument is total and utter rubbish.

I have worked all my life and never claimed a penny. My back and body is absolutey wrecked becuase I work my arse off and pay my dues.

If I need medical attention, I better an damb well receive it mate.

If I need hospital treatment that I have paid for I better an damb well receive it..

We pay into the system not sponge off it.

If you want to have a go at someone, have a go at the spongers mate :sneaky2:

Edited by Amelanchier
Language

I hope one day I become as awesome at my job as you, where by it is now absolutley impossible that you could ever have an accident and require rescuing.

some folk are just better that it than others, it is not written in stone that every tree climber must get hurt. i have spent my life climbing things, i lived in a big private estate with no other kids but plenty of freedom. people ask my mum 'dont you worry about stevie up there' she just smiles and says 'why' i have terrified the life out of that little woman since i was alowed out to play, she just had to let me get on with it because the more she tried to stop me the higher i would go for a wind up. my nephew was 5 yesterday. you will never see a more natural athlete than this lad. he has been playing with older boys in his estate for the last 3 years, he does what they do but better. he was doing back flips, summersaults on a trampoline yesterday. he could ride a bike before he was 3. he doesnt do it recklessly, he is naturally good at it. the 2 nieghbours that owned the trampoline are both PE teachers. they cant wait for him to start school. i bet i could give him a silky now and he would do just fine:001_cool:

Untill then....

No you misunderstand me.

Maybe I'm crap, because I just work in such a way that does not put my life on the line.

From what many are posting, if I'm not putting myself at risk I'm not doing it right.

Tony, your argument is total and utter rubbish.

I have worked all my life and never claimed a penny. My back and body is absolutey wrecked becuase I work my arse off and pay my dues.

If I need medical attention, I better an damb well receive it mate.

If I need hospital treatment that I have paid for I better an damb well receive it..

We pay into the system not sponge off it.

If you want to have a go at someone, have a go at the spongers mate :sneaky2:

Indeed.

But at the risk of repeating myself (and subsequently having to edit another one of your posts for the language you knew would have to be edited :closedeyes:) - the system wasn't built for you. It was built for all of us, by us. So sometimes it's not fair on the individual, sometimes it gets exploited and sometimes it fails completely.

However, most days it works for most people. Look at it on the wider scale.