tree surgery in the future

dodger

Dean, could you explain to me how a (from what I have read of your posts) small company similar to mine manages to justify an expensive item like a MEWP if it is only used for 6 jobs a year?

I believe Mrs Lofthouse said something very similar, when Dean came home with it!!:scared1::001_tongue::001_smile:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why what happened in germany? excuse my ignorance

many years ago the german health and safety stop a german national to climb trees ie tree surgery. you could earn really well out there because the massive shortage of climbers dur to there own arborist was stop from climbing

I believe Mrs Huck was given the same line as Mrs Lofthouse when Mr Huck tried to justify the trailer and crane to her :001_smile:

No, surprisingly enough she's fine about finance these days, when I bought my first chipper 12years ago I borrowed 8K, she was sooooooooooo worried:scared1:

But once she saw how much it increased our income she was fine.

I borrowed 30K when I bought my current mog, she was not in the least bit concerned.:001_smile:

I think her confidence in me now means I could borrow any amount and she would be fine.

The increase in the use of MEWP's is not all HSE driven.

A lot of guys in our line of work are not "really" climbers, to them climbing is just part of the job, they love mewp's and ask for one at every opportunity.

One of the councils I do work for have given me a few jobs recently that their lads had asked for a MEWP to do, their manager (an ex climber) is sick of his climbers asking for a MEWP for even small simple jobs.

As far as accidents go, as Dean has already said as the MEWP accident numbers grow, the HSE will see they are not the answer stopping all accidents.

I think a good self employed climber, running their own Co or as a subie, will ALWAYS have work and will ALWAYS make good coin!!!:001_cool:

on average there a handfull of climber killed whiles working with rope and harness looking at there records there isnt a death yet with mewps ie doing tree work. as for your mates keep asking for the mewp even for small jobs the law on there side as its the safest way to do the job

as for your mates keep asking for the mewp even for small jobs the law on there side as its the safest way to do the job

I have to disagree with you there Dodger, it may be the quickest and less fatiguing way but depending on the location definately not the safest sometimes.