Timberwolf Feed Roller Issues

Arborlord

On friday we chipped 4 loads 2tonne a pop near the end of the day the machine bottom feed roller started squeeling very loud could it just be a lack of greese or is there something else going wrong.

Are these easy enough to take apart and look for any damage.

:confused1:

It could be something stuck down the side of the roller, but just make sure when you grease it to pump the grease gun till you feel resistance and then a few pumps more, the grease has to go all the way through the centre of the roller to the far bearing.

Also take off the upper roller springs, lift the top roller and lock it up and get hold of the bottom roller and feel for excess play

Also take off the upper roller springs, lift the top roller and lock it up and get hold of the bottom roller and feel for excess play

Agree with that bit. If there is excess play then you may have sheard the bolts that hold the left side (as viewed looking into the hopper) of the feed roller in place. These bolts go though the bracket that holds the black plastic cover over the feed roller box in place.

These commonly break and the chipper will go on forever without them but things won't be quite right! Its a fiddly job to replace the bolts as it difficult to get the holes to line up but not too difficult.

I turned the rollers on while i greesed it and it took alot of greese i checked none was coming out of the sides.

My thoughts were a worn bush is this a real pain to fix if it is.

When removing the bottom roller is there any thing i should be aware of like delicate parts or a certain way of doing it

cheers for your help guys :001_cool:

Theres nothing too delicate. The hydro motor comes off easy, then remove the bracke ton the other side that hold the black plastic cover. roller should lift out. Wear heavy duty gloves while handling the roller!! They are heavy!

The bushing is quite tough and difficult to get out to replace. I can rememebr how to do it, let me know if you get stuck.

Re Timberwolf feed Roller Issues

Arborlord

The advise given to you by Rupe is very sound. May I add a quick check to see the amount of wear can be judged by looking down the funnel and see if the roller is angled down towards the bush side. If it is, then a service is required, if not the greasing normally deals with the squeaking. Also spraying some oil or wd40 down the side of the roller (Bush Side)to wet up the bush would have the desired effect until the grease has done it's work.

Timberwolf Tech support

If its leaning towards the motor you need to check the fixing on the bottom motor. If these come loose it can elongate the holes in the motor causing it to lean and make a noise. it is also common for the top stud to fall out completely. If it is missing it is usually due to the fact it has been running loose and damaged the thread in the roller box. If this is the case drill and retap to a M12 and use a M12 x 30 cap head bolt to secure the motor. As a note to everyone it doesn't hurt to check these every time you change the blades. A 5 min job and can save you a £300 motor + labour and down time. As for greasing, the hole drilled through the middle of the roller usually blocks as the grease goes hard. Removing the hyd motors and grease nipples and blowing through with compressed air or pushing through a long thin screwdriver will clear the tube and the grease will get where it's meant to go. Again a job that should only take half an hour but will save you penny's later.

Edited by Mike