Barrel water butt

mickdundee

I've got an old wooden barrel water butt that could do with a bit of a smarten up. I've give it a rub down but don't know what to treat it with. I've no idea what sort of wood it is. I've got some teak oil in the shed or was thinking of getting some Danish oil. Any suggestions :confused1:

And I'm going to use stove paint on the bands

:thumbup1:

As above most probably Oak.

Osmo exterior Oil if ok but expensive and overated in my opinion. You'll end up refinishing it after an English winter. You want something a little heavier than an oil. A varnish would give a much stronger and long lasting fiish than an oil.

A marine varnish would be perfect, something like International Goldspar. Comes in a range of sheens and is tough as nails.

The most obvious first question is what are you going to use it for, and what type of finish: durable or pretty?

If for storing water, and its oak, then no need to treat at all! It will automatically weather. If for plants, then no real need to treat either other than linseed oil/turnpentine. If dry goods, then why not again use linseed oil/turpentine. Teak oil is an expensive and unnecessary overkill, as is Danish oil. If indoors, then varnish.

The most obvious first question is what are you going to use it for, and what type of finish: durable or pretty?

If for storing water, and its oak, then no need to treat at all! It will automatically weather. If for plants, then no real need to treat either other than linseed oil/turnpentine. If dry goods, then why not again use linseed oil/turpentine. Teak oil is an expensive and unnecessary overkill, as is Danish oil. If indoors, then varnish.

Yes it's being used as a water butt. Not doing anything suits me haha. Just make a good job of rubbing off the old stuff then