Beech tree question

Craiglr90

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Good effort though. I think C.a and C.d subsp. a are synonyms, hopefully the system allows for established synonyms under different authorities, but if you know otherwise please let me know.

#Anyway the answer is to do with the non-italicised part.

I'm going to have to think about this now and my heads full of force flows, notch stresses and branch attachments:confused1:

This will answer your question r.e synonyms Search results ? The Plant List

You see that word 'confidence' in the column? That is a hint on its reliability. Bit like WIKI anything - it means 'what I know is'.

It's all about the reliability of the person inputting the data.

Sorry to put the dampers on this.

Purple beech v Copper beech - a misconception they are the same tree.

You see that word 'confidence' in the column? That is a hint on its reliability. Bit like WIKI anything - it means 'what I know is'.

It's all about the reliability of the person inputting the data.

Sorry to put the dampers on this.

Purple beech v Copper beech - a misconception they are the same tree.

I do recall somebody telling me they are the same when I discussed this once.

However, there is a very clear difference between what is called a "copper" and a Purple beech, a copper is always a grafted tree, whereas the purple crops up as a sport and wild variation on the beech theme

Looking like I have asked a question that I thought was bit stupid but turns out no ones that sure lol :)

That's taxonomy and nomenclature for you. The taxonomists try to group plants together to create mans idea of order, from nature.

Then the plant namers have to work out when a specific plant was found, named and published first. (since about 1750). Most plants have been named by more than one person in different geographical locations, so it takes some sorting out:lol: