Working in Germany as an arborist

Arran Turner

I freelanced for a bunch of companies over in Germany; the language thing can be a bit hit and miss if you don't speak native, though you can get by working knowing pretty much just ACHTUNG!, motorsage and tank. Generally I've found at least one person in a firm who speaks moderate English though, and obviously if you're spending any real length of time there you'll want to pick up as much as you can anyway (unless you pick up a German girl who speaks English, in which case whatever).

From my experience the work there is brilliant, I spent weeks, months even doing nothing but dead wooding. As Jesse said they have seasons for things but those differ from state to state, Baden Wurttemburg I believe November - March is felling season?

Germans are bloody hard workers which is great because you make more money, though you may feel utterly destroyed by lunch time. Take your long ropes.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of going off topic here its only hypocrisy, IF you say you don't do it then do it.

Can you explain how pruning trees when beetles are active is bad?

Well, it goes like this.

A freshly wounded/pruned tree puts off pheromones that adult beetles are specially attuned to detect from a fair distance.

So pruning in the summer hot season is like ringing a very loud dinner bell for hungry and horny beetles buzzing about.

Of course this applies to specific tree species n bugs to varying degrees, some far more than others. But it's generally accepted that pruning during the hot summer months is unprofessional conduct, geared more towards profit than tree health and a happy client.

Jomoco

Well, it goes like this.

A freshly wounded/pruned tree puts off pheromones that adult beetles are specially attuned to detect from a fair distance.

So pruning in the summer hot season is like ringing a very loud dinner bell for hungry and horny beetles buzzing about.

Of course this applies to specific tree species n bugs to varying degrees, some far more than others. But it's generally accepted that pruning during the hot summer months is unprofessional conduct, geared more towards profit than tree health and a happy client.

Jomoco

If you say so

If you say so

I do, along with a lot of other pros with doctorates n stuff.

Timing of pruning is important; avoid creating fresh pruning wounds during the adult beetles’ flight sea- son. Do not prune elm trees from March to September or pines during February to mid-October. Do not pile unseasoned, freshly cut wood near woody landscape plants.

http://ucanr.edu/sites/sjcoeh/files/77067.pdf

Jomoco

I do, along with a lot of other pros with doctorates n stuff.

Timing of pruning is important; avoid creating fresh pruning wounds during the adult beetles’ flight sea- son. Do not prune elm trees from March to September or pines during February to mid-October. Do not pile unseasoned, freshly cut wood near woody landscape plants.

http://ucanr.edu/sites/sjcoeh/files/77067.pdf

Jomoco

My bad, I meant the professional aspect rather than the bug thing in general

There is a fair bit of this "I don't do that" attitude in tree work and that's fine if that's your choice but many use it to claim title to the pinnacle of professionalism.

Professionalism is giving the client the information to make an informed choice. It is after all their tree, a chattel to do with as they please and we are the service industry they use.

I see your PDF and offer

•Leave woody cuttings from trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants in piles within a shrub bed.

The RSPB: Advice: Dead wood for wildlife

Brush piles for better wildlife habitat Starting Out In Your Woodlands

Creating a Wild Backyard - Brush Piles - Wild Acres - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Experience taught me there's a few folks in my client base that know a lot more about trees, horticulture, entomology and mycology than I do. That these folks are affiliated with the heads of city and state agencies, universities and townhalls.

These folks do take note of which company pruned mr so n so's trees in July, that later died.

Sometimes walkin the walk costs you money in certain months of the year. These are good months for building up a firewood supply, processing it, vacationing, yearly maintenance n such.

Word gets around bout who delivers sound advice n service dependably, and who doesn't.

Jomoco

I have been cutting trees for more than 2 decades and I have yet to have yet to have a tree that I pruned die of an insect infestation that resulted from the pruning.

Its never come up as a consideration on any of hundreds of pruning specifications, reports or management plans that have passed through my hands in that time.

Its not mentioned on pruning consents issued under UK tree protection legislation or to the best of my knowledge the recently reviewed British standard for tree works without reaching for a copy (CBA looking so I will gladly hear different)

If it were that big a problem I cant understand why loggers leave Huuuuge piles of lop and top around

Is this an American thing?

Anyhoo back to the topic.

I worked in Germany for a number of years (a while back now) and if you take a bit of time to learn the lingo you will get a lot more out of the experience.

Be ready to learn rules and how to follow them.