bars/chains for milling

Rob Stringer

hello all, the narrow kerf logosol guide bar that came with my m7 sawmill finally gave up while milling earlier this week. They dont seem to be available any more and most of the bars&ripping chains available are more standard gauge (cant remember the numbers off the top of my head). Was wondering if people had noticed much difference when milling with different types and thicknesses of bar&chain? It'll be food for thought when it comes to replacing the old&worn ones. Thanks, Rob S

did you try ruth at logosol, strange that the bars are not available, they run a std pmx chain, so nothing fancy about them

May do that, on the website they just list the stihl bars and bars for the electric saw. Oregon etc. bars&chains are available elsewhere at a lower price but mostly at the standard .063" gauge, just wondered if there was a noticeable difference in use and amount lost to sawdust etc.

did you try ruth at logosol, strange that the bars are not available, they run a std pmx chain, so nothing fancy about them

They are quite unique the bars that logosol run in that they are 3/8" lo pro .050 and 36" long.

Stihl and oregon as far as I am aware do not have these bars full stop ie. they have the 3/8 .050 but the 3/8" is standard 3/8" not 3/8" lo pro.

Also the Stihl lo pro ripping chain that goes with the set up -again very hard to source - not available in the UK.

A lo pro set up milling does not save as much kerf as you may think - but it prob is faster than a standard set up.

Looking at the logosol website it looks like they're mostly selling the stihl bars now (cant see any sign of the logosol guide bars that i'm used to on there at all). I've been finding how well i've sharpened the chain has been the main thing affecting how fast I can mill... If theres not much difference in the kerf and finish i'll probably try the standard gauge oregon stuff as its more reasonably priced and i'm only an occasional chainsaw miller...

Looking at the logosol website it looks like they're mostly selling the stihl bars now (cant see any sign of the logosol guide bars that i'm used to on there at all). I've been finding how well i've sharpened the chain has been the main thing affecting how fast I can mill... If theres not much difference in the kerf and finish i'll probably try the standard gauge oregon stuff as its more reasonably priced and i'm only an occasional chainsaw miller...

You are quite right that the chain is the key factor, both how sharp and how even.

If you haven't got one, I suggest going for one of Rob D's Granberg Precision grinders - it lets you set angle, length and hook and keeps them the same on all teeth which does give you a lot more speed and a improves finish. Oregon chain comes out with a perfectly reasonable finish but you could try a loop of the Granberg chain as well - I prefer the finish I get and it is also a bit faster (you do need the grinder to sharpen it though as it gets hardened).

Alec

never had any problems getting the stihl chains, I run the setup with 18", 20", 28", and 36" bars depending on what size timber I'm milling, and with top plate angles from 0' to 10' depending on timber type, yes, Ive a lot of chains hanging in the workshop, but when the finish off the chain almost doesnt need a pass through the planer its worth it, some of the last oak I ran just needed sanding to knock off the little bumps here and there

never had any problems getting the stihl chains, I run the setup with 18", 20", 28", and 36" bars depending on what size timber I'm milling, and with top plate angles from 0' to 10' depending on timber type, yes, Ive a lot of chains hanging in the workshop, but when the finish off the chain almost doesnt need a pass through the planer its worth it, some of the last oak I ran just needed sanding to knock off the little bumps here and there

I'd like to be able to get these chains but very hard in this country - logosol have the monopoly at the mo.

But will be looking into getting some longer 3/8" lo pro bars made in the future for milling.

:001_smile: