In the Pines.......

David Humphries

Cheers fellas :001_smile:

The setting of a rescue line is such a quick and simple thing to do. Could save a life.

:thumbup1: we try and keep in the habit of having a second line in place (as long as it doesn't hinder rigging etc....) even if there's no real particular hazard associated with the works.

Habit & repetition often promotes good work practice

Glad you guys moved Rover when you did though!

No great need to have moved the Landy as the hanger had been in place since last October 27th. Wasn't really going anywhere.

Although when we told one of the parks maintenance guys who regulary cuts the grass along these trees, he didn't have a clue it was up there above him.

Think he's gonna look up a little more often now :biggrin:

Nice little vid David.

Couple of questions, did the climber just SRT up and then be lowered on the f8 when done? Why not take up a climb line or RW it so the option to descend was there?

What did you lower on a bina as opposed to a small pulley?

Cheers.

Nice little vid David.

Couple of questions, did the climber just SRT up and then be lowered on the f8 when done? Why not take up a climb line or RW it so the option to descend was there?

What did you lower on a bina as opposed to a small pulley?

Cheers.

Hi,

we talked about the option of either working off the SRT or taking my own climbing rope up but I opted for the former as I anticipated it being a very fairly swift job (simple up and down) with very little need to manoeuvre within the canopy once up there.

On the way up there one of the guys shouted up if I wanted the RW sent up but I opted for the lowering option, partly due to it would have meant an extra item to haul up plus I like the idea of using different options from time to time.

I've only used the RW very occasionally, probably about a dozen times. From my limited experience, it's great in it's ideal environment, but in a simple straight up and down I suspect it's just an extra piece of kit to install as opposed to being belayed out of a tree by your groundsman, it's probably a personal thing?

Your second question about the use of krab V's pulley was something David and I talked about later. From the ground the limb looked a lot smaller which prompted the idea of using the krabs initially, in hindsight once up there, it could be argued that a small swing cheek pulley would have been a more suitable option? Ultimately, as climbers, we usually spec these small jobs from the ground and then set off with a certain idea of how we're gonna tackle a job in our heads. Once up there, face to face with the task, it's goes without saying that you need to reassess and change tack if necessary. For me the krab was gonna get the job done and that's what I had in my hand at the time.

David would probably stick with the small pulley option (that was his suggestion), and he's probably, maybe, perhaps, ultimately right, but then the option of the krab worked fine for that particular job (in my opinion :biggrin:)

cheers

..........David would probably stick with the small pulley option (that was his suggestion), and he's probably, maybe, perhaps, ultimately right, but then the option of the krab worked fine for that particular job (in my opinion :biggrin:)

cheers

What's this probably you speak of !?!

Don't you know that I'm 'always' right :biggrin:

Hi,

we talked about the option of either working off the SRT or taking my own climbing rope up but I opted for the former as I anticipated it being a very fairly swift job (simple up and down) with very little need to manoeuvre within the canopy once up there.

On the way up there one of the guys shouted up if I wanted the RW sent up but I opted for the lowering option, partly due to it would have meant an extra item to haul up plus I like the idea of using different options from time to time.

I've only used the RW very occasionally, probably about a dozen times. From my limited experience, it's great in it's ideal environment, but in a simple straight up and down I suspect it's just an extra piece of kit to install as opposed to being belayed out of a tree by your groundsman, it's probably a personal thing?

Your second question about the use of krab V's pulley was something David and I talked about later. From the ground the limb looked a lot smaller which prompted the idea of using the krabs initially, in hindsight once up there, it could be argued that a small swing cheek pulley would have been a more suitable option? Ultimately, as climbers, we usually spec these small jobs from the ground and then set off with a certain idea of how we're gonna tackle a job in our heads. Once up there, face to face with the task, it's goes without saying that you need to reassess and change tack if necessary. For me the krab was gonna get the job done and that's what I had in my hand at the time.

David would probably stick with the small pulley option (that was his suggestion), and he's probably, maybe, perhaps, ultimately right, but then the option of the krab worked fine for that particular job (in my opinion :biggrin:)

cheers

Nice one mate for answering my q's.

With regards to the RW adding more clutter, you could argue that the setup you had used a lot more kit to make do. Not really trying to nit pick mate, just sharing my opinion. AND IMO the RW is perfectly suited for the job you had.

i.e. High anchor, base tie of with climb line. Go up, set rigging line and pulley, cut, clear stub, remove rigging, descend, remove climb line.

As I said not trying to nit pick, but as a contract climber, I tend to work with a lot of different crews. Varying in experience. I prefer to keep all the variables under my control, hence my choice would have been the RW with either a Microfrog system or the HAAS system.

But the main thing is the job was done accordingly and safely, and I presume David will pay you for it ...? ;)