Our christmas hols

Steve Bullman

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the ONLY way you'll get approved, unless you have a smallholding etc, and can justify 'pest control'.

Wrong! :thumbsdown:

It is your right to own a shotgun and the police have to have a good reason to not grant your certificate (criminal record, etc). I got my cert 5 years ago (renewal due in a couple of months) based on the fact my father in law who lives 100 miles away offered me the opertunity of some duck shooting and in order to be the right side of the law I needed my own certificate to be able to go to the ponds without him. It was granted with no reservations and without the need to have a shotgun cabinet ( I had one anyway but it wasn't checked). I now own 3 shotguns and use in excess of 10,000 cartridges a year on game, vermin and clays

I will admit it is easier when you apply to say you want the gun for clay pigeon shooting, you will also have an interview with a fire arms officer who will ask why you want a gun. Clay shooting is the easiest route to ownership. Once granted you can use the shotgun basically wherever you deem it safe to use it and there is no restriction on what you can shoot (provided it is legal of course)

I am now applying for a section 1 license (full rifles). This differs from the shotgun license in that you need to prove good reason for ownership of each and every rifle you apply for. (with a shotgun cert you can buy as many as you want but get to 10+ and questions might be asked). I have shooting rights over a number of local farms and provide pest control services hence the need for rifles. I will have to have all the land approved by the fire arms department and the license I get will state which guns can be used on what land and for what purpose. Much more controlled.

Go for it though, it isn't a cheap past time but is bloody good fun and provided you have been good with the regards to the old bill you will have no issues in getting a certificate

It is your right to own a shotgun and the police have to have a good reason to not grant your certificate (criminal record, etc). I got my cert 5 years ago (renewal due in a couple of months) based on the fact my father in law who lives 100 miles away offered me the opertunity of some duck shooting and in order to be the right side of the law I needed my own certificate to be able to go to the ponds without him. It was granted with no reservations and without the need to have a shotgun cabinet ( I had one anyway but it wasn't checked). I now own 3 shotguns and use in excess of 10,000 cartridges a year on game, vermin and clays

I will admit it is easier when you apply to say you want the gun for clay pigeon shooting, you will also have an interview with a fire arms officer who will ask why you want a gun. Clay shooting is the easiest route to ownership. Once granted you can use the shotgun basically wherever you deem it safe to use it and there is no restriction on what you can shoot (provided it is legal of course)

I am now applying for a section 1 license (full rifles). This differs from the shotgun license in that you need to prove good reason for ownership of each and every rifle you apply for. (with a shotgun cert you can buy as many as you want but get to 10+ and questions might be asked). I have shooting rights over a number of local farms and provide pest control services hence the need for rifles. I will have to have all the land approved by the fire arms department and the license I get will state which guns can be used on what land and for what purpose. Much more controlled.

Go for it though, it isn't a cheap past time but is bloody good fun and provided you have been good with the regards to the old bill you will have no issues in getting a certificate

Or you could just move over here.....One thing I love about the US.........you can apply for any firearm you want without being treated like some sort of social outcast. I have my whole family staying at the moment and it still freaks my old man out, as to how heavily armed I am! Great pics Steve, looks like you been bitten by the shootin' bug........ya redneck!!

I first went to the states when I was eleven years old, I traveled around the states but the high light was when I got to my step-grandfathers place in Houston to find that he had various handguns and rifles in the house, I was taken to a range and was allowed to shoot one of the pistols, a 22 Beretta, great fun for a young lad!

Steve,

It may be your 'right', but your local plod have the 'right' to refuse ANY shotgun license they feel is not justified.

Have you tried to apply for a licence lately...?