New Boy

JaySmith

Sorry if I've missed something here but just thought I'd mention that if you do the Capel Manor Arb Apprenticeship and you're under 19 you get the course free (supposed to be something like £1200) which includes 30 & 31 paid for, and training for 38 & 39 then you pay for the assessments yourself, but still cheap.. and you get PA1 and 6 or something free as well :)

Jenny

Sorry if I've missed something here but just thought I'd mention that if you do the Capel Manor Arb Apprenticeship and you're under 19 you get the course free (supposed to be something like £1200) which includes 30 & 31 paid for, and training for 38 & 39 then you pay for the assessments yourself, but still cheap.. and you get PA1 and 6 or something free as well :)

Jenny

Id be doing that if i were new to the game and young enough, Great base to start from there, I didnt know that, Good post Jenny!!

Jenny

Thanks Jenny, that sounds good, just a shame I am over 19! I have foud a few places that offer the training - anybody know or any good/bad ones in the South East?

Kingswood training is a very good one, click there link on the banner down the side and speek to Richard.

Cheers for that, I have a course info pack from them, would be good as I don't live to far away from them and they seem to get good reviews about their tutition

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the site am new to it as well and its a great tool for learning the job.

I only got into the tree work buisness last year, I started study arboriculture at college and got my CS30/31 38 & 39.

Get yourself self employed, get you PPE and a chainsaw (if you need advise on whats the best chainsaw to get just ask on the form). Once you have done this then you can sub contract your self out.

Its not cheap getting started up, I've prob spent £3000 since last November getting all my gear.

I put a post on looking for work on Tuesday and got a repile on the Wed. Went and worked for the guy on Thursday and yesterday for free and he's given me subby work with him on a daily rate.

I've total landed on my feet, he's a top notch tree surgeon and am sure i'll learn loads from him.

My advise is work hard, show commitment, turn up on time, listen and most importantly work safe.

Good luck mate!

Stevie

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the site am new to it as well and its a great tool for learning the job.

I only got into the tree work buisness last year, I started study arboriculture at college and got my CS30/31 38 & 39.

Get yourself self employed, get you PPE and a chainsaw (if you need advise on whats the best chainsaw to get just ask on the form). Once you have done this then you can sub contract your self out.

Its not cheap getting started up, I've prob spent £3000 since last November getting all my gear.

I put a post on looking for work on Tuesday and got a repile on the Wed. Went and worked for the guy on Thursday and yesterday for free and he's given me subby work with him on a daily rate.

I've total landed on my feet, he's a top notch tree surgeon and am sure i'll learn loads from him.

My advise is work hard, show commitment, turn up on time, listen and most importantly work safe.

Good luck mate!

Stevie

Hi Stevie, thanks for the reply and the advice, good to hear from somebody new to the industry and who has made it work. Sounds like things have worked out well!

i'm a national diploma student at sparsholt college about to finish this summer. i would strongly recommend doing an ND as it gives you alot of scope for what to do in the future when your back is buggered or you grow old of climbing. sparsholt college has been brilliant, they have awesome work sites, arrange wicked trips like climbing englands tallest tree, and guide you through both practical and academic elements realy well. i started the course when i was 24 and dont regret losing the time at work as my earning potential has been increased. i think what ever you do, if you show how keen you are and that you are willing to do the rubbish jobs as well as the great ones then you'll go far