Self Employment

Ross Turner

Just re read your alst post. Contract climbing is a bit of a misleading term too. Your unlikely to be under contract to get anything done for a specific price. Its day rate works for a fixed amount in most cases, thats freelance or self employed climbing.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ross. You might find it difficult gettign PL insurance without EL as you need to have someoen workign with you and they are employed by you if its your job.

This is the problem, confusion comes in where people say they work as a subbie climber. There is no such thing as a subbie climber. Your either a self employed (free lance) climber or a subbie.

Of couse you might want to work free lance, AND take on the odd job on your own here and there, in which case you could do with insurance for your jobs but its not worth it, just don't take on anything risky withou it.

Ross, Rupe, I am one of the above.

I have PL without EL as I only work freelance as you put it. I needed to be covered to complement the cover the exiting guy I was working with needed for various contracts. Try Trust Insurance and explain exactly what you are after, and that you are hired in help etc...

good luck,

rich. (NE Born and bred) :sneaky2:

Ok, so you can get it without the EL, thats good. I still think its not worth paper its printed on. Why doesn't the person you working for have sufficient insurance to cover a self employed worker who's working with him (or his crew) for the day?

I can see that, in order to get certain contracts, you might need it. i.e. some pen pusher in the council says you need it, so you get it in order to get the council work. thats fine, if you want the work then jump through the hoops but its still pointless.

If you do something negligent, like throw a log out of a tree and hit a passer by, then the guy you are woking for is responsible, a) for hiring somebody you and b) for allowing a passer by to be in danger.

My accountant told me that the only insurance which is required by law is

pl. Not to say el isn't vital, it is. The piont is that without pl you may not be viewed as legitimatley self employed which could be a tax nightmare for whoever employed you that year.

To be legitimatly self employed the inland reveneue would prefer you to be a subcontractor and not a freelancer like we do it, and yes in this instance you would need PL and EL as explained above, but unless you are genuinly sub contracting then the insurance is pointless. Thats the only point I'm tryign to make.

Go ahead and get the PL insurance, if its available without EL then it should be cheap enough, then council boffs are happy, inland revenue are happy so alls good.

My accountant told me that the only insurance which is required by law is

pl. Not to say el isn't vital, it is. The piont is that without pl you may not be viewed as legitimatley self employed which could be a tax nightmare for whoever employed you that year.

It should be the other way around EL is required by law PL isnt.

I think you will find that it is a legal requirement to have EL cover, to a minimum of 10M if you are employing someone, and someone is classed as employed by you if they are working for you in any way at all, including self employed.

I don't believe it is a legal requirement to have PL cover, however you can not purchase EL cover without the PL so you have to have both..

This is as explained to me by my insurance company, who are bloody good!

Give cameron a ring at Trust Insurance.

Whatever you decide to do.... get an accountant... most important thing.. he'll maybe charge you 300 a year or something but it's pennies considering the ammount of tax he can save you and the advice he can offer. Plus, the accountant will keep you legal, up to date nd on the right side of the tax man.

You've all lost the plot now.

I think you will find that it is a legal requirement to have EL cover, to a minimum of 10M if you are employing someone, and someone is classed as employed by you if they are working for you in any way at all, including self employed.

We are not discussign this, its for the self employed person whos not employing anyone that we are discussing.

You've all lost the plot now.

We are not discussign this, its for the self employed person whos not employing anyone that we are discussing.

Lol, yes I probably have its just that gibbon said EL wasnt a requirement so I thought I would state it was just to not confuse the matters anymore :confused1:

:001_smile: