T540xp "flooding itself?"

GordonRochdale

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my saw back, only took 5 weeks to replace the impulse pipe! Decent sized Sycamore take down to get stuck in, first tank all going well, second tank after first few cuts it stalls take a bit to get going, make a few more cuts stall and won't start without full throttle and dies on idle. To put it politely I was jolly well not impressed!

Get onto the dealer and ordered a new saw it arrived at lunch nice friendly call back to say it's waiting for me, so after work I go in ask for the new saw I order and promptly shoved the mine on the table. I'm not waiting another 5 weeks!

Let's hope this one does not let me down, the 2 201t's I have even using in the last 5 weeks have been absolutely stellar powerful quick to rev up easy to start and reliable, if this one goes on me I'm going back to Stihl!

Doesn't sound good at all. Must be a one off though surely. Mine is running fine now but it does need a lot of choke, I always start it on half revs if it's been more than 2-3 minutes off, and usually 5 minutes ish it needs full choke. Can't say that LS+ husky oil makes too much of a difference over stihl HP, but I'm going to continue to run the 540 on LS+, due to the whole auto tune carb setup etc

Well I have to say my saw kicks your saws bums, full choke, starts 3rd pull flick it straight to half choke without letting the engine die, quick blip and away it goes! If it's been down for fuel will usually start 2nd pull, no choke. However 1 week after getting it back from Skyland the pull cord handle has disintegrated. I think this is gonna be a common problem aswell!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Ha! Yeah I do get to start it straight from choke sometimes, it's amazing how they all act different on startup procedures etc. The rubber sleeve around the pull cord on mine separated from the cord, got that replaced with the vent. I'd be interested to see how it handles on a 12" bar, as I went for the 14"

Ha! Yeah I do get to start it straight from choke sometimes, it's amazing how they all act different on startup procedures etc. The rubber sleeve around the pull cord on mine separated from the cord, got that replaced with the vent. I'd be interested to see how it handles on a 12" bar, as I went for the 14"

The new saw is a different machine, starts so much easier and is running well, fingers crossed this one will last, it's really gutsy on a 12" but I have only ever run 12" on my toppers as I'd rather switch to a bigger saw sooner.

Cheers Marc, would be interested to try a 12" out, surely it would be a lot more torquey due to its shorter length. Reading through the 540 threads in the chainsaw forum, just preying I don't get the problems listed after my first little bump in the road with the 540....

• 1 month later...

Last update to this thread, since replacing the breather part, I've not had a single symptom of leaking / flooding. Further to this I ran out of Husky 2 stroke and went back to Stihl HP. The 540 ran so much better on Husky LS+, as soon as I had fired a couple of tanks of Stihl mix through it I started to have little niggles when starting: saw taking more pulls than usual, not necessarily starting the first couple of times when carrying out a warm start on half revs etc etc.

So if your having starting / runnin issues with your 540 id recommend using husky 2 stroke in your mix. LS+ is a low smoke oil too, I noticed the difference in fumes when I went back to Stihl HP too.

All the best