T540xp "flooding itself?"

GordonRochdale

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I,be heard reference of small batch of t540's having a faulty vent? Apparently dealers have been made aware of serial numbers of affected saws, I have no idea if this is true or just internet rumour.

My 540 is in for repairs after leaking heavily around the carb area and having erratic running problems, to the stage where it would not start some days.

Quoted from another source

""Got mine back today. I'm surprised none of the gurus know about my problem. Apparently there's a bulletin out. The story I got is three weeks worth of production have intake issues with the 'impulse?' Line not being mounted properly on the throat/plate of the intake. Thus fuel supply lacks and it doesn't really run. Anyhow it's back and on the truck for tomorrow. Full warranty repair.""

It was a pipe replaced on my saw, should get it back this week with more info on the repairs carried out that's 4 weeks I have been without my saw!

I cant see any bulletin's about impulse pipe or vent problems. ALthough one of our customers(didnt buy the 540 from us) sent his back to the dealer because of running problems, turned out to be an impulse pipe problem as you described.

Ive not spoken to husky about any of the above problems plus there is the possibility that if husky know which batch of saws had the problem they could just contact the dealers that received that batch of saws.

Cheers for the info though:thumbup1:

Well took the saw back to the dealer today, he replaced the vent and explained that the filter and carb are oily because of blow back from the carb. If you start the saw up without the air filter on and watch the carb as you rev the saw, you'll see a mist coming out of the carb. (The spongy part of the air filter is designed to absorb the blow back deposits)

So we will see if the problem has been sorted this week, however not to worry too much because of the 2 year warranty on all husky saws.

My dealer also mentioned that the saw should be abused - for lack of a better description - and not to be shy of giving it full revs when working, and that they do require a lot of choke, even after putting it down for 5 minutes between use.

I've also got some tester bottles of Husky's low smoke premium 2 stroke to try, to see if that aids in any way, so hopefully this thread has been useful for 540 owners / potential owners, and I'll update as and when!

I've had something replaced on mine too, forgotten what it was called but it was the breathy thingy from the fueltank to the air-filter. Barry and mark at Skyland did it for me super quick under warranty, I'd definitely recommend them on

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Yeah that'll probably be the vent, did it cure the problem? Going to run the 540 purely on husky 2 stroke from now on an see how it goes, just a bit of a pain using my own fuel rather than using the firms that I subby for. At least I'll know the mix is 100% correct.

Also changed the chain to Oregon 91vxl, the saw was chattering and struggling really bad in hard wood. May even get some stihl full chisel on the go in the future.

Was like a different saw today, was cutting all day too. Can't say if it's running better because of the new vent or the new fuel mix, but it is. Cutting sweet too with the new chain, but tends to take too much of a bite on the very odd occasion, trapping the chain.

Took the choke advice on board from my dealer too, and made for an overall more smooth starting sequence when the saw had been off for 5 minutes.

I think fuel can make a hell of a difference I run all my saws on aspen and they seem to run better for it.

Mine felt really good today, don't no if it's just my mind telling me it's cutting better but I was ringing up some big oak logs (20 inch or so)at the yard of one of the guys I sub too and it was flying through them. Almost like it had given it a little bit more power.

I'm glad to have my little Dale Winton back anyway :)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App