My first strimmer / brush cutter

clv101

To be fair, the Honda isn't a bad machine, and was pleasant enough to use.

I'm not so sure you wouldn't be better off with a second hand professional machine such as an FS460. The full length anti vibe makes such a difference, I wouldn't use a bike handle strimmer without it now. You can get an FS460 for £300 second hand, in fact I have one I would part with for that.

is the honda 435 not a pro machine. yes sthils are good so are the husky but the honda is a good machine hardly any vibes from it light to use when adjusted correctly only need to use fingers tips for control. the cruise control sounds good when cutting a lot be nice just to set it at one speed and let go of throttle. thats the only draw back with most of them getting a numb hand holding the trigger in for a long time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy all this cruise control bollocks. Numb fingers from holding the throttle? Lack of anti vibe more like.

You don't get in a car and put your foot down, then leave it down. You drive and apply throttle according to the conditions. It's the same when strimming.

I don't buy all this cruise control bollocks. Numb fingers from holding the throttle? Lack of anti vibe more like.

You don't get in a car and put your foot down, then leave it down. You drive and apply throttle according to the conditions. It's the same when strimming.

Does your swing shovel have a hand throttle or a foot throttle?

I didn't think it was anything to do with vibes, I thought it was more to maintain consistent revs as anyone knows from using big machines especially it ia all to easy to struggle to maintain consistent revs manually.

Does your swing shovel have a hand throttle or a foot throttle?

I set the revs according to the job. For delicate work you turn them down. But if anything goes wrong I stop moving my hands and the machine stops regardless of revs.

The difference with a strimmer is that you are always encountering changing work-

Growth can go from thick brambles to light grass all in the same working sweep.

Fence posts and trees to strim round

You never know when you will wrap it into some wire, glass, or worse, dog muck :thumbdown:

Even in thick undergrowth I let off the revs to swing it back to the start of a new sweep. This is essential when windrowing grass for raking too.

I didn't think it was anything to do with vibes, I thought it was more to maintain consistent revs as anyone knows from using big machines especially it ia all to easy to struggle to maintain consistent revs manually.

You what? When your car slows down because of a slight hill, do you put your foot down or leave it where it is??

I find the opposite- people run big strimmers flat out when there's no need.

I got a wheeled strimmer, an old DR strimmer with a 6hp, 4 stroke for old folk in Devon with a big garden and small paddock and an old 4hp x 2 smoke for the wenches place! Bugger that carrying about malarkey!

I got a wheeled strimmer, an old DR strimmer with a 6hp, 4 stroke for old folk in Devon with a big garden and small paddock and an old 4hp x 2 smoke for the wenches place! Bugger that carrying about malarkey!

How do you find the DR? What's it like on brambles etc?

Just to throw another make in, I bought one of these BC 430 T (Euro 2) - Oleo-Mac - catalogue de produits

Fantastic bit of kit and I get great service from my local dealer. Never really heard of Oleo mac before but out here they are quite popular. Think it cost about €560 so about €300 cheaper than the stihl or Husky equivalent.

You what? When your car slows down because of a slight hill, do you put your foot down or leave it where it is??

I find the opposite- people run big strimmers flat out when there's no need.

That's what I mean, that is why I would find cruise control nice, because running flat out is not what I want.

In my car I have automatic and cruise control so don't bother asking me, and anyway a car is not a strimmer.

Generally when strimming you have a fairly consistent sort of material to strim then perhaps encounter anothe rpatch of something different, like the field I had the other day was 1 acre of gras and about 0.25 acres of bramble, the brambles were all one end.

I only said I thought the cruise on the husky was a good idea I have never used one and didn't say I had.