Stock Fence Clamp recommendations?

adowning7

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a boy just using 2 bits of timber with 3 big bolts throu them.

I welded my own 1, bit ruff and ready but does the job.

To be honest i used to fence with a fella that never used a clamp, just pulled top and bottom wires and straightened out the vertical wires, he fenced that way for best part of 30 years, mind we he first bought a clamp, said he wished he bought it years ago.

But u can do with out them, all depends on the distances ur pulling, he never had a tractor so everthing was hand balled so u weren't doing massive distances in a day

if ur pulling big lengths in a oner 2 clamps with long chains is a good way to go.

But a drivall or Hayes may be dearer but will last for life

Does a company still make them with the wedges? Only used the ones that u bolt on

No good having two flat faces for your clamp as already said an angle over tube works well, I made one with two angle irons then welded two bars on the outside of one and one in the middle of the other so the wire gets crimped in an s shape. If you don't bend it round something then wires will pull through the clamp. I have been averaging a tad over 20 thousand metres of stock fencing per year over the last 4 years and learnt a lot about the job and I have not used a wire clamp once in 3 years now. I put gripple joins in where needed and use my contractor gripple tool. You may not agree but I can get the wire tight on all strands in dips and peaks through out the line and you are pulling evenly through out the line. If your wire goes a bit slack if you over stretch your top wires just go back and tweek the joins to pull the netting back. I don't like the idea of pulling big stretches of wire without being able to adjust them in time if needed. So imo forget the clamp and get a gripple tool, buy by the box and get gripples for £0.48 each and it build it into the price

No good having two flat faces for your clamp as already said an angle over tube works well, I made one with two angle irons then welded two bars on the outside of one and one in the middle of the other so the wire gets crimped in an s shape. If you don't bend it round something then wires will pull through the clamp. I have been averaging a tad over 20 thousand metres of stock fencing per year over the last 4 years and learnt a lot about the job and I have not used a wire clamp once in 3 years now. I put gripple joins in where needed and use my contractor gripple tool. You may not agree but I can get the wire tight on all strands in dips and peaks through out the line and you are pulling evenly through out the line. If your wire goes a bit slack if you over stretch your top wires just go back and tweek the joins to pull the netting back. I don't like the idea of pulling big stretches of wire without being able to adjust them in time if needed. So imo forget the clamp and get a gripple tool, buy by the box and get gripples for £0.48 each and it build it into the price

Don't you find there isn't enough wire between the verticles to pull up hundreds of meters with just gripples. Any length more then 50meters I use two clamps to pull together mid strain- then join with gripples and use the gripple tool to final tweak each wire once the clamps are off. Agreed that the clamps need a to kink the wire a bit to hold the tension. Even with my drivall ones they can slip even though the bolts are done up proper tight.

Don't you find there isn't enough wire between the verticles to pull up hundreds of meters with just gripples. Any length more then 50meters I use two clamps to pull together mid strain- then join with gripples and use the gripple tool to final tweak each wire once the clamps are off. Agreed that the clamps need a to kink the wire a bit to hold the tension. Even with my drivall ones they can slip even though the bolts are done up proper tight.

Took the words outta my mouth. If you try to pull more than a few inches of wire under some sort of tension through gripples (like when tensioning a loing run), the gripples will start to disintegrate.

I'm leaning towards clamps more for speed when doing cheaper jobs where the customer doesn't want to use high tensile net. It's going to sag after a summer anyway, so....

We use this homemade one pull it up with hilux

[ATTACH]154767[/ATTACH]

What's that strainer? It's like a box but with no wire transmitting the force back to the base, and a normal strut but too high to do any good? Is it a West Country thing? :confused1: