A Valid reason to be fired?

Python

All of this was given as a defence in the investigation along with various statements but hr are standing fast, supervisors are all well aware of the tools and the deer

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

Sounds to me like you should just progress straight to the legal advice stage. I was always surprised at how ill-informed HR departments are. Had you had a lot of confrontation with them in the past?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be some HR that actually know their arse from their elbows but I doubt it. Your solicitor or union rep will probably find so many faults in their handling of your case you end up receiving a pay out instead. Advice I was given from Police about knives and bill hooks in the van was to make sure they were locked away securely should someone break in take and use them on somebody.

Good luck.

Get the disciplinary procedure copy as I said mate.

Go take advice from a solicitor and make the most of the 30 minutes free advice.

Its amazing how they (companys) can back track and sort issues out if they know your not just going to walk away but kick and scream when it comes to solicitors involvement. Also how do you know what they have been told is actually what has happened in reality and not just been fed a story?

Get the disciplinary procedure copy as I said mate.

Go take advice from a solicitor and make the most of the 30 minutes free advice.

Its amazing how they (companys) can back track and sort issues out if they know your not just going to walk away but kick and scream when it comes to solicitors involvement.

They did exactly that with my brother he referred to someone as a "****" in a conversation on Facebook and was fired 4 days later so he started et proceedings and they settled and apologised straight away

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

Evening, had to register just to reply. If you have worked since your company knew of the incident then they have little to sack you for. If you are good enough to work for just one day given all they know about the incident then you are good enough for ever more. If they were concerned about your conduct you should have been suspended immediately for investigations to take place. I can't guarantee it but if you get the bullet a tribunal will almost definitely find in your favour of unfair or unlawful dismissal.

Did you dispatch the deer in company time and use the company van to move it? Also have you ever had any other disciplinary from the company if not then I wouldn't see this as gross misconduct which is the only way they can sack you without issuing warnings in the past ( are you now looking for a job?)

Seems a very strange 1. Espthe time delay etc

Almost sounds like there wanting an excuse to get rid of u.

Sure u've not been meeting bosses wife/daughter after hours:biggrin:

Is it just his word against ur's? How can they prove wot blade u finished deer off with?

I would get proper legal advice, i know nothing about employment law.

Also check the proper wording for knife laws and possibly can't remeber if 1981 wildlife & countryside act or a different animal welfare act the PTS's a deer would come under

If ur a climber or cutter really no issue with having a knife on u, or a machete for that matter as u have 'reasonable excuse' part of ur safety gear for a climber.

By law u can pretty much carry a 3" blade folding knife anywhere whithout needing an excuse but when u get into lock blades or solid blades or over 3" u need to be abe to justify it and why u have it.

As for the deer there is a lot of greyish areas about PTSing a deer esp in general public standing about. I would do and have done many times, exactly wot u did. While it is fairly easy to bleed a deer out that way also easy to get it wrong and not to kill it as quick as u would like, esp if u don't know wot ur doing.

The grey areas come in wether they can argue u caused the deer more suffering by ur actions, but strictly speaking u are also obliged to put an animal out off its misery if u are able too.

If ur a shooter might be worth contacting BASC or wotever org ur with, while be no help on the employment side could telll u the relevant laws to do with knifes and deer

Good luck with it, i'd just get the lawers on it thou

Ps if u took the deer technically theft and if ur motor hit it can technically be done with poaching, bizare i know. Deer carcass belongs to whoevers gound it is lying on,(ie council if round or adjoining landowner/shooting/stalking tennent)

Edited by countrryboy

you say you belong to the union. when they suspended you from your job why did the union not step in then to ask why you had been suspended.

and there should of been a meeting with you the HR department and your union rep. And they should of put there case forward for the suspension and reasons and when they intended reinstaing you if no charges were proved.

its now got to that you have been sacked the union need to get there act togetherand sort this out.

you need to ask for a meeting with the director of the company the HR department and your union rep. you need to say you do not acept the dismisal and if they refuse to have a meeting to discuss this matter. then get the union to start legal procedings for unfair dismisal.

if what you say in your post. what grounds do they have for suspension

and then to sack you. but i am more anoyed with your union. they should have been in on this case ages ago and sorted it not now they are sacking you. i think the HR department do not have clue what theyare up to and if the union got hold of the director and spoke to him or her bet they do not have a clue what is going on. but do you want to work for this company let us know how you get on. PS if local rep is not that good get hold of the main union office and ask them to sort it for you