Dilemma.

chrisj

I have a bit of a 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other dilemma.

My all round saw has been a Jonsered 630 with a15 inch bar since I got it when working on clear fell over 15 years ago. Now I do mostly gardening work with bits of tree work (although I do want to build this side up more). So for a lot of stuff this saw was a bit big, but I've had a number of jobs recently that have been at the limit of the 15 inch bar when cutting up the lower section. My thoughts were to get a bigger bar on my Jonsered and then get a small saw for the little stuff. However before I could do this the saw has reached the end of its days and I'm left with just my topper.

I was thinking of replacing the Jonsered with another 60cc ish saw for now with a view to getting a longer bar and a little saw as before. But my dealer can do me a great deal on a 72cc so that it's cheaper than a 60. It comes with a 20" bar and he says I could go down to a 16" and ultimately up to a 28". Long term view for my business I think that this saw paired with small one would cover everything that I'm ever going to want to do. However I can't afford 2 saws right now. So my dilemma is, do I get this and put a 16" bar on so that it's not quite so unwieldy on the smaller stuff for now while I save for a small saw? Or get something smaller that will just pull a 16" knowing that it may be a bit of a struggle on some jobs while I save for a big saw? Jobs wise I've got a load of small stuff and one job that's at the limit of my old 15" bar so no clear help with my decision there.

Someone else must have been in a similar spot before. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to struggle with some stuff, then maybe that's going to be time wasted. And time as they say costs money. Could you no go for the larger saw and buy two bar lengths? What saw is you dealer recommending you buy?

That's just what I was thinking of doing TGB. I was just pondering whether I'd get really fed up using the big saw (even with a smaller bar) for little stuff, more than I'd be irritated by only just having a big enough saw. I was just thinking that maybe someone else might have been in the same position and say "with hind sight I would have ........."

I'll have to ponder it for a bit.

I suppose I could always just use my topper for the really small bits until I can get a little rear handle. No, No I didn't really just say that. He says running away from the lynch mob. LOL

Yes you're not wrong there sawfun.

I think my problem is that there isn't one saw that is ideal for everything I do so until I can get 2 I'll going to be making big compromises. Probably more than three quarters of my work is shrub pruning and small clearance work. About 2 - 3 inch diameter stuff. But then when I get a decent tree job in I could often really do with an 18 - 20 inch bar. So most of my stuff I don't really need bigger than 12 inch but a saw that size will no way deal with the bigger stuff.

I think I am leaning towards the big saw. The small one shouldn't take too long to save for and my topper (naughty I know, but needs must and all that) and a silky will fill the gap until then.

Well a big saw will cut small stuff and big, but not generally the other way around. Then again I live in the PNW in the states so I guess my frame of reference is quite different. Get the 70cc saw and dont look back.

Silly PNW'ers. Whattaya know anyways?

Well, the 630 is a bit heavy compared to many modern 60cc saws, but in it's defense, it is also underpowered. I think a 560 would do well to replace them. But if weight is not an issue, a 365xt/2166 would do the job alright. I assume that's what yer man wants to set you up with.

Interesting thoughts there wyk. Hadn't thought that more modern saws would be more powerful for the same size, but it makes sense. It was actually a Makita that I was looking at it the dealers. I wasn't really looking to go that big at the moment but you know what it's like when you see a bargain.

I do need to get a replacement saw fairly soon but not this minute. Think I'll do some more research before parting with cash. At the end of the day no matter how good the price it's not a bargain if I decide after a few weeks that it's the wrong saw for me.

My old saw has done me so well that I haven't looked at the saw market for over a decade and there are just so many options now. Time to spend a few hours trawling the saw threads on here I think.

Tbf most will recommend either a 560xp or a 365 (both are husky). The 365 is a fair bit cheaper than the 372xp (72cc) and needs minimal modification to become the latter. Both are pretty powerful, the 560 will pull 20" with no sweat, and the 365 will pull larger once modified

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App