Europe? In or Out?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Europe - In or Out?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Europe - In or Out?

• Yes - stay in the EU
    • No - leave the EU

A simple question. Would we have more in our pocket if we leave ?

On a domestic level it wouldn't make much difference.... However the unknown is on a Europeon level, so those firms that buy and sell in to Europe. It would certainly shake things up but when the dust settles it may not make much difference at all...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So another bad case of political flatulence then. Which will cost us good knows how many million in holding a referendum . At the moment my 10 bucks in my pocket gets me nearly 14 bucks to spend on my hols in Spain.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, the first things that come to my mind about short-term difficulties that will arise and may become permanent.

1. Plant Health - our domestic legislation arises from European Conventions, in other words a Europe-wide co-ordinates attempt to control the spread of pests adn diseases. Wave bye-bye to that and say hello to Emerald Ash Borer, Asian Longhorn etc. I expect our national assets (woodlands and forests) would be at a higher risk of being wiped off the UK balance sheet.

2. Import and export of plants will definitely become more difficult and therefore probably more expensive because there will no longer be a common labelling standard.

3. European partners with any one of 30 nearby countries to choose to trade with in timber and the like could shun the UK for any reason whatsoever (including the above issues), whereas the UK doesn't have that option to shun its trading partners. An uneven playing field leads to competitive advantages for Europe and disadvantages for UK.

4. No-one in this country will be able to go and work in Europe.

5. UK business will be excluded from bidding on large OJEU contracts.

6. Climbing gear that is CE certified may not be usable in this country if it cannot be LOLERed ar LOLER exempt, we will have to return to a set of redundant BSs, meaning products (ropes, harnesses) may only be purchasable from within UK.

7. European governments and the Commission will (and I mean will) go out of its way to make trading with UK more difficult. If you think they're difficult just now, wait till they have a good reason.

8. International companies may choose to relocate to mainland europe, for some of the reasons that they have declared their intention to get out of Scotlnadn if it goes independent. Why make trucks here if you can't bring in mobile labour and CE certified parts when you need to. They can still sell to Britain but may not buy labour and goods. Bang goes the main hope Britain has to close its trade deficit.

I didn't say we couldn't trade with Europe or survive without membershi of it, but it would eb folly to assume it wouldn't be more difficult. A UK government will find bureaucracy to fill the void left by Europe. It always does. Every new government that comes in promises to have a bonfire of quangos and to rid the state of deadwood, and everyone fails partly and replaces what it removed under a different name because it realises that it was there because it was somehow needed. The british are whingers, have a listen to Jeremy Vine or read the Daily Mail any day. That's where rules and bureaucracy comes from. From within. It won't go a way and if it does you will want it back because anything else is a license for cowboy contractors, makers and sellers of faulty chainsaws and tax dodgers.

Largely rubbish again I'm afraid (in reference to Skyhuck's comment) if you want i could do a point by point 'takedown' but it's long-winded.

Well if that's the pinnacle of your wisdom then dear help you because frankly that's complete bollocks.

The real truth is ALWAYS clear cut, there are never any different versions of it, there are no different shades, it is ONE thing.

All the other shades, versions, etc, etc, only come in to play when people want to deny, hide, or alter the truth. Truth is becoming extremely unfashionable and harder and harder to find but if you want a REAL piece of wisdom to cling to, remember that out among all the bullshit it's always there somewhere.

Couldn't agree more!:thumbup:

You believe that is true, I don't. That proves that there is no such thing as truth, only personal conviction and collective conviction.

There is in my view a greater danger in pretending there is universal truth than in realising that there isn't and using the knowledge wisely.

How preposterous! Truth is Truth - if you CHOOSE to not believe a Truth it just makes you out to be totally idiotic!

• 11 months later...