Sequoia chainsaw milling

Big J

Just noticed in the pick of the boards you have 3 rounds cut nicley did you mill them in the round if so did you use a ripping chain or cross cut as i have a customer who wants a round milled in half I already asked the guys on hear for advise but seeing the pick thaught i would ask also did you mill them stright off the stump

Cheers Mark

thats a pint your due me

Indeed, and many thanks! How did you get the tree dismantled in the end? I see your avatar that you're up a MEWP at Dollar?

Stubby - they have their bicentenary in four years time and the boards are going to be used for an outdoor installation in the run up to that.

Clive - live in Scotland but half English, half German! Could just about shift the boards half width (hence the central cut) but the 4 inch boards were still over 250kg each.

Ballibeg - think it's certainly worth milling so long as there isn't too much occluded bark. Makes excellent cladding. You could break it down into cants (thick slabs) and resaw on a band mill. That's what I'll be doing with a tree that is coming to the yard next week.

Mark - my back isn't great really (weight lifting injury from when I was younger) but it hurts the least when I'm working hard. It seizes up when I stop. I'm very flexible, so bending down low is fine. Today is the first day my forearms have stopped aching though!

The discs are easy to cut - just do as you would a first cut length ways, taking off a rough piece and then repeat. It's quicker across the grain. These rounds were milled from the middle - the stump was too big.

Jonathan

It is very worth it. It's nearly impervious to insects unfinished. Smells gorgeous when used unfinished for interior work like ceilings, cabinetry/closets, shelving, drawers, doors, etc. I know some folks that have homes in the Pacific NorthWest of the US half built of that stuff.

Great work Jon - glad the big 84" is working out - I still think flap disc on a battery angle grinder (or mains grinder with adjustable speed control) - custom depth guage setter and you're away!!

Going to have to get me another 880 I think!

:biggrin: