Pull rope for winching / tractor etc

David Riding

What rope would you recommend for pulling Large Trees with a winch or a tractor. I was thinking of a very large rigging rope but if continuous strain is placed on the rope or accidental stress is placed on the rope due to an over keen agricultural contractor in his 220hp John Deere before an appropriate back cut is completed I pressume the cycles to failure will become an important factor?

we use a old 16mm double esterlon which is stronger and easier to use that 24mm polyprop 7.5ton mbs but would now not use it for lowering as it does get abuse

use a capstan for attaching to tractor for more strength and easier and no crap knots to undo

if we are pulling a tree with tractor usually the cosequences outway the cost of a rope

we use a old 16mm double esterlon which is stronger and easier to use that 24mm polyprop 7.5ton mbs but would now not use it for lowering as it does get abuse

use a capstan for attaching to tractor for more strength and easier and no crap knots to undo

if we are pulling a tree with tractor usually the cosequences outway the cost of a rope

I have been using an old 14mm double esterlon the last 12 months, with a SWL of around 550kg and therefore MBS 5500Kg. As you state when pulling with a tractor there is a good reason for it and therefore there is zero room for error. It gets used for heavy pulling atleast once a month so am wondering about the cycles to failure. I would like a rope I can feel completely confident with and not be wondering when failure is around the corner even if I need to buy a huge rope!

We used to have a 13mm wire winch rope with a loop on each end and a decent chain to go around the tree - never managed to snap it, even with the county yoked onto it so never really tried anythign else.

Downside I suppose is that it was a "one length fits all" kind of set up.

We used to have a 13mm wire winch rope with a loop on each end and a decent chain to go around the tree - never managed to snap it, even with the county yoked onto it so never really tried anythign else.

bought a wire rope for the big leaners that need pulling back with tractor, work feels a lot safer now,

ocean12hs.jpg.cc2ac1a5d33934150ec1b0c9ec3a1daa.jpg

OCEAN12HS RIGGING/CRANE LINE

A 12 strand construction utilising Dyneema®SK75 fibres specially treated and heat set to produce one of the strongest ropes in the world.

High strength to weight ratio

High UV resistance

Abrasion resistant coating

Very low stretch

Wire/chain replacement

Protective jackets available on request

Available in 8mm - 44mm diameter

Donaghys Industries, Marine - Aquaculture Products – Manufacturers and Distributors

I have only ever seen this on this website,has anyone tried it yet??I just wanted to show it as a new product and I am not promoting it.lol

Also the Manufacturers of Armour Prus,if you want to import some.

Edited by minty
added more

You can hitch a chail onto cable with a hitch that has a rude name.Its a bit like a prussick but tied with a single length of chain,use it to shorten wire ropes when back pulling.

[ATTACH]15526[/ATTACH]

OCEAN12HS RIGGING/CRANE LINE

A 12 strand construction utilising Dyneema®SK75 fibres specially treated and heat set to produce one of the strongest ropes in the world.

We have stopped using steel cables, we now only use Dyneema ropes. It's amazing how light and strong they are. Not cheap though, but the working comfort has increased big time!