How much discount on unseasoned wood sales?

adowning7

I have a glut of Beech after the storms most of it pretty sopping to the point where whilst splitting it you keep thinking its starting to rain.

I need to get shot of a few tonne and want to sell it asap for customers to season themselves.

How much discount is the norm to take into account the fact I have not got to store and handle it as many times? I was thinking of 15% off of next seasons price so not much less than what they have paid this year!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a glut of Beech after the storms most of it pretty sopping to the point where whilst splitting it you keep thinking its starting to rain.

I need to get shot of a few tonne and want to sell it asap for customers to season themselves.

How much discount is the norm to take into account the fact I have not got to store and handle it as many times? I was thinking of 15% off of next seasons price so not much less than what they have paid this year!

Have I miss read this? Or are you saying you are putting your prices up by nearly 15% next year?

None. Why give it away, you still gotta move it and split it and deliver it. That's why the firewood market is on its knees, to many people flogging it cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Fair point, only I had a pub convo with someone who said they would need an incentive to fill their store now or they might as well just wait and buy some dry gear in the Autumn. That still leaves me with about 10 ton that won't fit in my sheds. Building more sheds is not an option

Get an advert on sell and seek or local paper, people will buy it. The guy wanting an incentive to buy it now or wait for dry stuff sounds like the type of customer I won't sell too. Lol, god I'm a grumpy bugger, can't be arsed with people like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

why are you worried about putting it in sheds let it sit outside through the summer and when the season starts that's what goes first.

I'd do the opposite, season it outside then move it into sheds when you have sold the stuff under cover. We season our logs outside in the open. 2 years or so outside then split and cover it. You only need a month or two in the shed to dry out seasoned logs IMO. Others obviously disagree, I'm not one for moisture meters and am sure those of you who keep them undercover for two years have a great product but personally think you are wasting a lot of resources.