New career in Arboriculture

Itzal

Hi all,

This is my first post here, having joined today. I am pretty much on the scrounge for advice and opinions, although I will certainly endeavour to add to general conversation to.

I am currently Serving in the Armed Forces and due to leave in the near future, I am looking into resettlement courses and like the idea of Arboriculture as a future career, hopefully a small business of my own. I have limited experience of the field, I have as a younger man worked in soft and hard landscaping, this included some tree work but was very limited, and I don't believe it complied with all the relevant requirements of today.

So I have identified a training provider who offer the following courses, the MOD will pay for all but a couple of hundred pounds of. It's nearly £3000 worth of courses and I am more than happy to use some of the govts money on something for me for a change.

What I would be interested in knowing is:

How useful are the below course?

Do these courses equip you sufficiently?

Would an employer consider these sufficient?

Is the trade saturated with qualified people?

Is work reasonably easy to come by?

As a newbie I would welcome option and debate on the subject of someone entering this trade at present. So please feel free to fire away.

• Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance, Crosscutting, Fell & Process Trees Up to 380mm
  • • Level 2 Award in Access a Tree Using a Rope & Harness
  • • Level 3 Award in Aerial Tree Rescue Operations
  • • Level 3 Award in Aerial Cutting of Trees With a Chainsaw Using Free Fall Techniques
  • • Level 3 Award in Preparing & Agreeing Emergency Treework Operations
  • • Level 3 Award in Emergency Tree Work Operations
  • • Level 3 Award in Enterprise & Entrepreneurship

The courses are delivered by a provider on this forum, I by no means wish to question their courses, I am simply researching for ideas.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How useful are the below course? The first 4 look great, I'd question the last 3, although anything is better than nothing, and these may make up for lack of experience in some areas

Do these courses equip you sufficiently? The first 3 prepare you with the skills to be a groundsman, and the final one completes your training allowing you to complete jobs as a qualified 'arborist'. However I would always advise getting plenty of ground experience before jumping straight in as a climber.

Would an employer consider these sufficient? Probably, large companies also like HGV drivers. Many employers might focus their attention on other things like work ethic, personality, etc. The tickets are a fairly standard requirement for jobs other than labouring though.

Is the trade saturated with qualified people? The trade is fairly saturated, many gardeners and landscapers include 'tree work' in their services, and there are plenty more 'tree surgeons' with few or no qualifications. There are a lot of lads like you, leaving the forces and getting qualifications, and going out to look for work. Howeverm there is always space for the right guys to be successful.

Is work reasonably easy to come by? Like many other professions, jobs are not 'easy to come by', however if you put work into anything then you will reap the benefits. Offer discounted trial days, write letters, make phone calls... you will make it in no time if you make an effort! (providing that you work hard and skilfully for your prospective employers)

My biggest suggestion for you to consider - How old are you? How old will you be when you are qualified? Add 2 to 5 years to this as an estimate of becoming a skilled climber, ready to start your own business. Many climbers are looking to ditch the ropes around 40 years old, or even late thirties. Is it worth investing the time in this industry if you cant expect to maintain a stable career for a long time?

Also do you love messing around in conifer hedges and brambles in the rain? :P

I'd be interested to know what other options you guys are given for training! Do'nt let me put you off, just make sure you keep an open mind. Its not all felling massive trees in the sunshine!

Thanks Martwizz, I am 30 and I am certainly no stranger to working out in the elements or at height as I am a climbing instructor. However, I do take your point on the age thing and it is a consideration.

I take your points on the rougher elements of the job, I am looking around and seeing what I think is a viable option.

Options for military personnel coming out are varied, the link below gives an idea, however, its not exhaustive. You can apply for pretty much anything within reason. Depending on length of service depends on what your entitled to. I get approximately £4500 combined for resettlement training etc.

http://https://www.ctp.org.uk/resettlement-courses/searchresults

hi itzal

I would say go for it.

the courses look ok to get into the industry, then just get as much experience as you can.

I free lanced as a grounds man and climber before setting up my small business. found people to trust and share their experiences and help me on my way. see how different firms, climbers work and work out what works for you.

always room in the industry for hard working, trustworthy people.

you will need all ppe, climbing gear, saw, truck, chipper or trailer etc to do your own jobs. so get bits as you need them.

do find someone who will/can spend time with you when climbing. you cant learn it all by watching. be careful of climbers who show off or have big egos, they might not always be safe...

have fun, stay safe and good luck,

still climbing at 41 and love the work.

hi itzal

I would say go for it.

the courses look ok to get into the industry, then just get as much experience as you can.

I free lanced as a grounds man and climber before setting up my small business. found people to trust and share their experiences and help me on my way. see how different firms, climbers work and work out what works for you.

always room in the industry for hard working, trustworthy people.

you will need all ppe, climbing gear, saw, truck, chipper or trailer etc to do your own jobs. so get bits as you need them.

do find someone who will/can spend time with you when climbing. you cant learn it all by watching. be careful of climbers who show off or have big egos, they might not always be safe...

have fun, stay safe and good luck,

still climbing at 41 and love the work.

Thank you very much, its nice to hear someone who is positive, it is a rare thing it seems lately, regardless of the subject.

I am certainly happy to graft and put the time in, I am unfortunately somewhat of a perfectionist so I like to see a job done properly.

I am contemplating my options at the min and I very much appreciate your encouragement.

How useful are the below course?

Very in as much as you will find it difficult to get work without at least some of the more basic ones

Do these courses equip you sufficiently?

Not really, you will be qualified but inexperienced

Would an employer consider these sufficient?

Some employers will consider some of them mandatory (H&S standpoint), what's more important and will affect your pay scale is ability and experience

There are a number of colleges that churn out "qualified" people by the dozen but qualified doesn't mean able

Is work reasonably easy to come by?

That's going to depend on your ability, area and pay expectations but in general its not impossible.

You will be a no (arb)experience newbie and that will be reflected in your pay, more so in the private sector than with a local authority or similar larger organisation.

if you want it go for it. the tickets will give you a foot in the door. how well you get on, work ethic etc will depend if you get booted out. some folk may say that 30 you are too old, thats bull. your back ground will do you good. its a rewarding but hard job the money is crap.

Treequip,

Thanks for the honest assessment.

No problem, in hindsight I would add that the fact that you are considering this type of work means that you believe it to be within your abilities and with your age and experience that assessment would be pretty accurate.

My advice would be to find a contractor who will give you a volunteer day or two. See how you feel about tree work when you have had a day dragging brash, mauling timber about and have been fishing sawdust out of your crackers. Its not all glitz and glamour. :laugh1:

This is a quote from an article in the latest Forestry Journal:

"A crowded marketplace and the proliferation of those recently certificated and fresh from college, but with no real business experience... The problem is that colleges are churning out kids with a romantic idea of what it will be like to be a tree surgeon and make it in this industry, but they have no experience in running a business and lack the work ethic. Because there are so many tree surgeons, there is a lot of undercutting. It reduces peoples' perception of how hard our job is. We don't want to compete in that environment. We don't need to compete in that environment. There are so many guys out there with a truck and a chipper..."

Source: Forestry Journal. March 2014. Volume XX No.3. ISSN 1756-3275.