Chipper Revs Mod

Dean Lofthouse

you could use a IR LED and sensor across the infeed, would only need two small holes and being solid state are relatively shock proof, somewhere about i have a circuit board printed up for this purpose that just goes to a relay, you could then have that trigger an electronic fuel pump, down side is it would be basically a logic system so it would be either at idle or full revs,

dont see it being a huge problem if someone had a day or two. i would be tempted to bypass the existing throttle system and just mount the second fuel pump in parrallel to the existing sytem, so one or t'other could be used, (not both at the same time)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you thought about the amount of time it would take the flywheel to come upto speed, i dont think this would really work well

Yes, thats the reason it would only shut to half revs, for such as timberwolf, they could be shut down lower as they are up to speed very quickly, machines with heavier flywheels would be shut down as far.

Like has been mentioned, for bigger slower machines a proximity sensor could be used to give a second more for the build up.

But we are talking of a system with a built in timer, that doesn't shut it back down unless say, 30 seconds of non feeding elapses or even a programable timer that you could set for longer to suit each job

Kubota will in the next year release their new engines with electronic throttle, so this will make this type of system easier to produce but and it is a big but, what about the time it takes to get the flywheel upto speed. Engine revs up and down are no problem, getting a 200kg disc up to speed in seconds is not so easy. You would be waiting a minimum of five seconds to get the speed on any chipper, I think ?

Kubota will in the next year release their new engines with electronic throttle, so this will make this type of system easier to produce but and it is a big but, what about the time it takes to get the flywheel upto speed. Engine revs up and down are no problem, getting a 200kg disc up to speed in seconds is not so easy. You would be waiting a minimum of five seconds to get the speed on any chipper, I think ?

If the chipper is fitted with no-stess this should not be a real problem as the rollers will not start rotating until the flywheel is up too speed.

So you would just shove the first load of brash up too the rollers, then go back for the next arm full, as you are doing this the flywheel will reach speed, rollers take in the brash :001_smile:

And the gain to waiting for the rollers to start is what exactly ? Regardless of if you are off getting the next bit of wood, what about the times where it is the last bit ?

Surely any tree surgeon wants the machine there and ready to work, quick. Why would putting a delay be of any interest other than environment and fuel costs and fuel costs would be outweighed by labour costs ! As to the environment, that is a different topic I think.