Double ended chainsaw milling

Big J

Rob did do a 72inch double ended bar

That's where the one in the pic come from I think the 84inch is to big I was think of a 72 till I see they was off robs site

Might have a think or ask rob to get me one in next time he orders from grandberg I'm going to think :confused1::confused1::lol:

Sorry late seeing this thread - great pics Big J - will try and call you again now...

I don't have any more 72" bars! So took them off - but I think I will put back again and add that they are just out of stock at the moment.

In fact I'll do £50-00 of usual price for any ordered in March.

Products for the category: Double ended bars

:001_smile:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing ref these bars over others - they are twice as wide in the middle and have the least flex over the length... also thicker steel.

The powerhead on each end also helps counteract bar sag for a flat plank even over a wide board...

Yep - although you'll have to cut them down a bit - have reduced the price of these...

There is going to be a price rise in all the Granberg equipment soon (as in a week or so) - but have not got round to doing a thread on it... will do this evening if time allows....

I'll leave the prices on the big double ended set ups as they are though for this month including offers on them...

Ur a star rob

Is that 72inch rails I would need for the 72 inch bar mate

That said - when you look at Big Js pics - are you really going to gain much more milling width?

56" rails do seem to fit perfectly on the 72" double ended bar - I don't think it's worth squeaking a couple of extra inches by cutting down the 72" rails... if milling width is the issue better off getting the 84" double ended bar.

Cool pictures J, i liked doing that chainsaw milling for about an hour then it was too boring so i think me and Stevie went to a cafe :lol:

Wait until you use it again. I've been fettling the chain and you'll be too busy trying to hang on for dear life to get bored! :laugh1:

Hi Big J , do you do all your milling with an alaskan and chainsaw or do you have saw milling gear as well ? as it would appear you have had a large lump of sweet chestnut delivered or at least moved to a site , if so why not use ( or take it to a mill ? ) I know chainsaw milling has its place ie .. in a place that is innaccessable to heavy lifting gear , but for milling surely it is slow and costly compared to bandsaws . I ask mainly because many years ago ( 20 or so !) I had an alaskan mill and was cutting some beams for a shed for myself on a site and a timber merchant / miller i know saw me working pretty hard ! and commented that " it is the last resort of a desperate man !" not in a rude or insulting way , and I sort of agree with him , as in I would only mill this way if there was absolutely no other way !! which in Arb work is often the way !!

Hi Big J , do you do all your milling with an alaskan and chainsaw or do you have saw milling gear as well ? as it would appear you have had a large lump of sweet chestnut delivered or at least moved to a site , if so why not use ( or take it to a mill ? ) I know chainsaw milling has its place ie .. in a place that is innaccessable to heavy lifting gear , but for milling surely it is slow and costly compared to bandsaws . I ask mainly because many years ago ( 20 or so !) I had an alaskan mill and was cutting some beams for a shed for myself on a site and a timber merchant / miller i know saw me working pretty hard ! and commented that " it is the last resort of a desperate man !" not in a rude or insulting way , and I sort of agree with him , as in I would only mill this way if there was absolutely no other way !! which in Arb work is often the way !!

I only usually use the Alaskan mill to break down large logs for the Logmaster LM2 bandmill that's sitting under the roof in the pictures:

2013-10-29_13-56-55_746_zps651235f8.jpg

I did actually work out that production rate for the double ended mill was comparable to a hydraulic band mill - about 35-40 cubic foot an hour. The customer wanted the oversized boards - I don't put boards of that size into my own stock.

Using an Alaskan on an inaccessible site suits smaller sized mills - boards of this size aren't really possible for people to lift, so every board was moved by forklift.

Chainsaw milling is certainly very hard work, but has it's place! :thumbup1: