Revisiting trees..?

Rich Rule

Nice shots Rich, Is it just me or after a while do you start recognising techniques used by various climbers?

i was at burnham a while back, i kne straight of the bat it had been two seprate guys, not three not one but two, i found one of them here and i was right! two climbers.

there are so many ways to skin a cat, i find it really intersting how others achieve the same shapes and athetics via alternate techniques, some drop out projections only, for a balanced natural feel, others bit like me pull it all in to a uniform crown shape (i aim to push the tree into growth from the inner canopy by doing so, good for long term, this also opens up the crown, preventing inner scaffold being further supressed or withdrawn from service resulting in dead wood and inner thinning of scaffolds.)

Its nice to know there are (these days) more arbs about who can achieve a quality finish, it can only improve our group reputations, keep it up guys, great thread.

shall have a look some time and maybe do a bit of traveling to see some older prunes of my own.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... i knew straight of the bat it had been two seprate guys, not three not one but two, i found one of them here and i was right! two climbers.

Cheers Tony,

There were 2 of us in the plane tree. I think that myself and chris worked together quite well and I don't feel that the tree is literally one of 2 halves.

Or do you disagree?

My reductions are usually followed by a grind Tone!

My thoughts on reductions are fairly well known on this site.

I am a big fan of the right tree in the right place. I do accept that reductions are absolutely necessary sometimes, and on these occasions I prefer to sub in decent practicioners like Rich rather than pollard/fell or cock it up myself.

I have done some very shapely 25% rj's in previous years, and looking at them now think the tree would have been better left alone.

I respect the true art of reduction massively, but will never be a fan of it.

Good to see quality work mind.

I physically wince when I drive past some of the 'reductions' I see on an all too regular basis.:thumbdown:

I think looking at trees after pruning at varying times is a vital part of the job. You can learn how different species respond to pruning and how pruning at different times of year can stimulate growth. When I do crown reductions I tend to thin the crown to varying degrees too. Its also good to go back and look at monoliths and coronet cuts/rips to see how the tree has dealt with it and to see what habitat you've created.