Advice On Buying New Model????

timberdog

Hi

just joined the forum and a big hello to all!!

My first question is i am in the market for a new saw and i am concidering the following:

Sthil 360 / 390 / 441 / 660/ ??

I am totally confused because i am still learning Tree work but i am looking long term for when i am fully qualified T/Surgon etc..

so looking for a powerfull saw for felling but i dont want to get it wrong due to the expense involved in buying.

can anyone offer and light on spec of above not so much tech spec but by means of eperiance in using above saws?:alberteinstein::bawling:

i would like a saw to cover al laspects as i said for long term use working for myself.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

just joined the forum and a big hello to all!!

My first question is i am in the market for a new saw and i am concidering the following:

Sthil 360 / 390 / 441 / 660/ ??

I am totally confused because i am still learning Tree work but i am looking long term for when i am fully qualified T/Surgon etc..

so looking for a powerfull saw for felling but i dont want to get it wrong due to the expense involved in buying.

can anyone offer and light on spec of above not so much tech spec but by means of eperiance in using above saws?:alberteinstein::bawling:

i would like a saw to cover al laspects as i said for long term use working for myself.

Welcome to arbtalk timberdog,

How much experience do you have with using chainsaws and what is your budget?

For example if you are new to using saws, you should steer well clear of the bigger models.

get a 341 or 361 with 15" bar . i am really impressed mine.

361 with 15" bar jeez that thing must fly Adam.

I have a 361 and love it, its a little heavier than a smaller 260 but has bags more power to weight ratio, I run mine with an 18" bar and fell trees upto 25-30" fairly easily when needed, but generally use it for everything i'e snedding, ringing up, blocking down and all round ground saw. I've heard some of the yanks run this with a 25" its a little big for this saw but would be okay for felling I suppose.

440/441 is also a good saw but quite a bit heavier suits a 20" bar nicely runs really well with 18", generally i'd only use this for felling, ringing up and blocking down bigger stuff. Not as a general groundsaw.

660 is awesome and pulls a 25" bar nicley and i'd imagine would fly with an 18", but only use this for big fells, big blocking down and ringing up.

My vote would be go for a 361, then once your established get a 660 for the bigger stuff, a 200t + 361 + 660 is all the saws you'd ever really need as a subbie.

well i am a Landscaper at the mo and do use a a Sthil 170 at the mo for horrible Conifers etc and also use a Husky 350 on a daily basis...not saying a am an expert.

i am also taking a level 2 in Arb at the mo ...hoping to pass?

also looking to take my 38/39 and arial rescue ASAP.

Working for myself i am looking to " Branch " out lol in to Tree surgery etc..

So looking to buy a bigger saw as the Husky was only three months old and its the second one i have had due to the first having problems cutting out and its put me off Huskys now..dont get me wrong it was a dam powerfull saw for me but my sthils have never let me down..

its down to which one as i was thinking it would last me as i progress in training so i have a budget from £300 to a £800.