357xpg piston+barrel

pyro

Hey all, Ive stripped the 357 down as per my other thread, Heavy scoring/gouging on the exhaust side (I think, forgot which way round I took it out!)

First question: Is there any advantage to up-sizing to a 47mm piston over the standard 46mm?

Second: I'm assuming the top end kits on eBay aren't up to an awful lot, but good enough for occasional work, would this assumption be right?

Third: Which side/end does the arrow on the piston face? I'm pretty sure it faced the exhaust side.

Ive ordered a new partition and clip, flange. Will be ordering barrel, piston, pin, circlips, piston ring and gasket set when i figure out which one!

anything Ive missed?

Certainly an easier and lighter rebuild than my land rover engine!

Ben

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrow on the piston points to the exhaust port on all the two strokes I've done. Bigger is always better :D

If by bigger you mean a barrel and piston from a 359 rather than a 357 then no its not . The transfers are different ( has the bolt on transfer covers rather than cast into the cylinder itself ) More power from a 357 than a 359 ....

Yup - the arrow always points toward the exhaust port but have had one aftermarket piston have the arrow back to front - the piston ring pin is on the inlet side on this saw.

The aftermarket kits tend to have issues with circlips (fit the originals) , brittle rings that snap and poor piston to bore fit.

You could try Tesgol on ebay, one of the more decent sellers on there.

I think tesgol is the seller of the set I'm watching, along with a set on sawbits.com

Yeah I seemed to recall that the arrow always goes towards the exhaust port from somewhere!

So the general consensus is to stick with the 46mm/357 set up?

On the up side, the bottom end is perfect, Cant feel any up or down play in anything. all looks as it should!

what was the benefit of the 359 then if there was more power from a 357?

Ben

Edited by pyro

Get the tesgol 357 big bore kit and just mail him to double check its the highway kit. Think the highway kits also mentions they come a the warranty.

They are basically the 359 piston but with a closed port cylinder so your getting a 1mm increase in piston size yet keeping the power of the closed port cylinder.

Get the tesgol 357 big bore kit and just mail him to double check its the highway kit. Think the highway kits also mentions they come a the warranty.

They are basically the 359 piston but with a closed port cylinder so your getting a 1mm increase in piston size yet keeping the power of the closed port cylinder.

I have emailed him regarding this, money is bit of a problem at the minute so hopefully wont be too much of a kick in the you know whats! I'm between jobs at the minute, was hoping to earn a bit with the saw whilst I was off, couple of windblowns and a few other bits.

Next question is: Do i rid my self of the auto decomp? Ive found part numbers for the blanking screw and cap, and there is a hole in the hose.

Ben

I have emailed him regarding this, money is bit of a problem at the minute so hopefully wont be too much of a kick in the you know whats! I'm between jobs at the minute, was hoping to earn a bit with the saw whilst I was off, couple of windblowns and a few other bits.

Next question is: Do i rid my self of the auto decomp? Ive found part numbers for the blanking screw and cap, and there is a hole in the hose.

Ben

That auto decomp is crap - take it out and plug the crankcase 100% otherwise you will get an airleak and further seizing , Fit a standard decomp valve, did this to mine and it is a good fix - the auto decomp can leak and lean down the saw giving running issues and seizure.

Do you know the reason for the original seize? If not, make sure the carb settings are correct and the saw is free of airleaks when back together.