Need a real time tracking unit

Paper Rustler

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Google skytag GPS. We have their units on all our vehicles and plant. We use mainly to alert via text if moved out of hours but I think they do real time monitoring too though I don't think they advertise this option widely.They are easy to install yourself and the phone support is good too if you need to change alert parameters. Our insurer also gave a premium discount for having them.

I need to track a vehicle that a member of my staff has use of. I can access the vehicle to hide the unit. I need to know if anyone has any experience or suggestions for use. It needs to be able to transmit real time info back to a computer.

You'll end up with a problem if you track an employee without making clear the vehicle is tracked.

I have used 3 different types of trackers on plant and vehicles.

The simplest and smallest is the cubetrak, you send commands by sms and you have to pay the firm that hosts the server for credits for sms and position reports. You log in to their server and see where your tracker is and has been. They recently changed policy from allowing to top up a few thousand points at a time to monthly top ups and it has become uncompetitive.

The second is the cheapest to run and just takes a payg sim and responds with either a text message or you can call it and get a position and status. This proves very cheap to run at <£15/annum but had a high initial cost of £500, I have seen similar which are much cheaper now, they are basically the guts from a smartphone.

The one that tracks a fleet of vehicles and sends alarm by e-mail on the smartphone (works well but only beeps once and I have slept through without hearing it) costs £240 and about £10/month to run. The companies server creates all sort of reports, especially about vehicle abuse. It reportds position every 5 mins or 2km when the vehicle is moving.

All of them only report the last position the gps saw and only the fleet tracker indicates if the device is connected via gsm and if it is seeing satellites.

In theory one could set up ones own server and put ones own sim into a unit but I had enough trouble just getting a gsm switch set up to talk to a server so I could access over the internet plus the data sim will cost about the same a month if you access it a lot.