Stihl Motomix- stores the same as Aspen?

William Clifford

I've used Motomix and will continue to do so although I cringe at spending £100 for 20 liters. It is very similar to Aspen (equitable even ?) being an Alkylate fuel that has been mixed with a Biodegradable, fully synthetic, 2 stroke Oil which meets the NMMA TC-W3 spec.

What is interesting is that you can buy this in Sweden at the pumps and it's around 10 to 15% more expensive that normal Petrol. Given that the price of petrols raw material has dropped, why hasn't Aspen/Motomix ??

Is £4 a liter sustainable ?

Even buying 200 liters + the cost doesn't drop to below £3.30/ltr which is well above the current 99p/ltr (for 95RON) and 115p/ltr (for 102RON sexy Nitro + fuel from Shell).

Are you not profiteering here Eddie ??

Shouldn't Aspen be around £2.50 a liter these days ?

Yes it's better for the environment and the saw but you are now 500% more expensive...

A plausible question Mik, and one which is often asked.

But 'Alkylation' is an expensive process which basically converts the waste gases from the distillation towers and cracking plants. Only some refineries have this facility.

So in simple terms, the 'raw material' used to make alkylate is a waste product and as such its value is not related to crude. The logistics of storage, blending, packaging and transportation all combine to create the current price.

The only savings in the production costs are really those of transportation and power which have, of course reduced, but are only a fraction of the production costs.

Yes, it would be great to have a cheaper Aspen, but in reality its not going to happen unless the 58p per litre fuel duty is removed, but in truth Aspen converts are happy to pay the price as it stands.

Certainly there is no profiteering as you put it. The profit margins are actually very low.

I hope this answers your question.

Certainly there is no profiteering as you put it. The profit margins are actually very low.

Having re-read my original and seen your reply I should apologise for using the term "profiteering" I wasn't implying that the resellers/distributors are "ripping people off" but it does seem somewhat at odds that in a different country the same product (composition) sells for significantly less than here in the UK ...

ref: Alkylate petrol linky 1KR = 90p

But 'Alkylation' is an expensive process which basically converts the waste gases from the distillation towers and cracking plants. Only some refineries have this facility.

So in simple terms, the 'raw material' used to make alkylate is a waste product and as such its value is not related to crude. The logistics of storage, blending, packaging and transportation all combine to create the current price.

The only savings in the production costs are really those of transportation and power which have, of course reduced, but are only a fraction of the production costs.

Yes, it would be great to have a cheaper Aspen, but in reality its not going to happen unless the 58p per litre fuel duty is removed, but in truth Aspen converts are happy to pay the price as it stands.

So what you are basically saying is that the basic raw ingredients of Aspen cost is zero. ( normally companies have to pay to have waste product removed). I find it very hard to believe that the refining costs are four times the cost of normal petrol production in the present global recession and that someone is not making a killing on the production of Aspen.

This is a product made for a niche market with a niche market price. Excellent marketing has led to a demand in this country for a product that is totally overpriced compared I believe to it's manufacture costs.

I use Aspen grudgingly on seldom used saws and hedge trimmers etc but grudge every penny over the £1.50 a litre I think should be charged for it.

We are being scammed in the UK on alkylate fuel and no rhetoric on the part of suppliers in the UK will convince me of otherwise

Having re-read my original and seen your reply I should apologise for using the term "profiteering" I wasn't implying that the resellers/distributors are "ripping people off" but it does seem somewhat at odds that in a different country the same product (composition) sells for significantly less than here in the UK ...

ref: Alkylate petrol linky 1KR = 90p

I think it's been stated a few times that most of the cost difference in uk is down to the tax put on fuel.

Edited by peatff

I thought this explained the rest of it pretty well :thumbup1: I'm not a big fan of paying more for anything but I do use Aspen as a home use only cutting occasionally. I think if I was using gallons of fuel a day it would put me off.

Edited by peatff
more drivel.

Yeah, that accounts for 58p/ltr (+ VAT) .... so why is it £5 a liter (£3.30 if you buy a shed load)... ?

I don't want to debate this too much Mik, but need to set a few points straight

1. The link you put up on the previous thread was actually dated 2002, so the costs are hardly accurate

2. I don't know the current Swedish price, but when I was there in November 14 the price for 5litres was 169k which by todays conversion is £14.40, but remember they have no fuel duty as we do. Take the fuel duty off our price of £18.98 and we reduce the price by £3.00 making our price only about £1.60 more than Sweden. Not bad considering the extra transport and distribution costs.

3. You mention that Aspen is £5.00 per litre here, where actually, if bought in a 5 litre can as most do, its only £3.79 per litre.

Just putting the facts straight, as it is misleading otherwise.

Edited by GardenKit
  • Like 1