261 or 362??

Pooh sticks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone from Stihl reads the hundreds of comments on this and other forums (if their are others) and see how many pro users are switching to Husqvarna.

There was a time in the late 90's that I would have only used Husky upto 70cc, and after that it was a level playing field. Then came the ms260,ms361, ms440, 460, 660 and of course the 200t some of the finest saws to ever grace the industry, but now I squirm when I read the horror stories of build quality, while Husqvarna have turned chainsaw use on its head and currently have the best saws available. Sorry other brands, but who are we kidding, Husky now rule supreme...........IMO

I hope someone from Stihl reads the hundreds of comments on this and other forums (if their are others) and see how many pro users are switching to Husqvarna.

There was a time in the late 90's that I would have only used Husky upto 70cc, and after that it was a level playing field. Then came the ms260,ms361, ms440, 460, 660 and of course the 200t some of the finest saws to ever grace the industry, but now I squirm when I read the horror stories of build quality, while Husqvarna have turned chainsaw use on its head and currently have the best saws available. Sorry other brands, but who are we kidding, Husky now rule supreme...........IMO

Said by a man with MAN FLU ! He must mean it .....

MS261 has some serious design flaws with the clutch/crank/bearings, that may not come to light within warranty period if you are an infrequent user but will effectively write-off the saw if they occur out of warranty (potentially uneconomic repair). Stay well away - I was told recently that Stihl are discontinuing this saw due to the poor reputation it has earned itself. The ms362 is a good reliable saw, but IMO not as exciting as a husky 560xp. I would always pick up the 560 before the 362 unless wanting to pull a 20" bar. The 550xp is the closest equivalent to the ms261 and would be a good saw for your requirements I would imagine, and is cheaper than a 362 or a 560.

Speaking to a forestry contractor the other day he has had all 6 of his 261s back under warranty several times.

I think it would be one to avoid.

I tried a 261 but ended up with a 362 as the 261 seemed to have problems.

Very pleased with the 362, have a 16" bar which it is the absolute boss of, and also have a 25" bar for it which I seem to use much more than the 16" and it copes with in softwood.

362 also comes standard with 3/8 chain whereas the 261 I think is standard on 325, although can be changed obviously.