MS261 Decibels

Treefitter

I recently bought a MA261c yes one of the new ones! On the chain break label it states the Decibels to be 118 yet in the operators book it states 116. Somewhat confused I rang Stihl to be told it was more noisy under different working conditions. I ask should the the book state 118?

The reason for my query is I noticed the new saw to be more noisy that the slightly older one (3 months) which does not have the new M tronic.

Have any other users noticed the extra noise levels with these new saws?

I wonder does the higher noise levels effect the time which we professionals use these new saws? I think less myself I wonder if Stihl have considered this?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I may be able to offer some advice here. My other profession is a sound engineer so I have a fair bit of knowledge regarding noise exposure. In theory if you are using sufficient hearing protection the 2dB increase will not make a big difference to your recommended daily noise exposure. Have a look at the chart below. Although I cannot preach as my daily noise exposure is often far more than recommended. Although I always without fail use hearing protection when using saws / plant all day.

image.jpg.0bacde09b894dc69dc82efde26b48611.jpg

SPL is sound pressure level. It is measure in decibels or dB. The chart shows your safe exposure levels for any given 24hr period. So of the saw is 118dB your exposure time to that sound pressure level in any 24hr period is 14 seconds before you risk hearing damage. Hench the use or ear protection to attenuate the level your exposed to which prolongs the time you can be exposed to said sound pressure level.

I may be able to offer some advice here. My other profession is a sound engineer so I have a fair bit of knowledge regarding noise exposure. In theory if you are using sufficient hearing protection the 2dB increase will not make a big difference to your recommended daily noise exposure. Have a look at the chart below. Although I cannot preach as my daily noise exposure is often far more than recommended. Although I always without fail use hearing protection when using saws / plant all day.

[ATTACH]149332[/ATTACH]

Hi Good informative post, thank you

Am I correct in my understanding that every 3dB change doubles increasing or halves decreasing the noise as its a logarithmic scale?

N

Edited by NFG

Hi Good informative post, thank you

Am I correct in my understanding that every 3dB change doubles increasing or halves decreasing the noise as its a logarithmic scale?

N

And that's why it take so long to get up in the morning . :001_smile: