What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

I think many Scots hate the English, they have huge chips on their shoulders and thats what this is all about.

That's a thought you need to get out of your head. Don't mistake rugby banter or inflammatory press headlines for anything more than they are.

I have no doubt that many from the Northwest or Northeast of England would have the exact same view as Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish, in that it's the skewed management from Westminster that is disliked.

Why another runway or airport in London, when Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow or Edinburgh could be expanded to share the wealth?

Why HS2, when Scotland's main arteries in the north are still connected by single-carriageway roads? Somerset has great transport infra-structure doesn't it? Oh, maybe not. It comes down to self-determination and for the Scots this referendum is seen as a way of balancing things up.

Devolved powers have reduced some issues, and in the event of a No vote I could see more powers slowly become devolved to the Scottish parliament. But that will not remove the feeling among so many Scots that Westminster will still be holding the reins, restricting our region's growth while the south east benefits.

So, hatred for the English? No, I don't think so.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be nice if they spread the government ministries around the country

How stupid ministry of fisheries n food ( or whatever its called now ) is in London

How about relocating min of environment to say Somerset ?

Loads of money --- for the South East

How about decent train link for liverpool, manchester, bradford, leeds, doncaster, hull

And four airports there too that could be linked

Ever noticed motorways all point at London

Be nice if they spread the government ministries around the country

How stupid ministry of fisheries n food ( or whatever its called now ) is in London

How about relocating min of environment to say Somerset ?

Loads of money --- for the South East

How about decent train link for liverpool, manchester, bradford, leeds, doncaster, hull

And four airports there too that could be linked

But we have just the same issue with Belfast which frankly is a shithole, god forbid that people would ever judge Northern Ireland by what they see in and around Belfast, yet that's where the money is concentrated.

I deal with a lot of English companies and sometimes people ask me where to go if they're coming over here, I just tell them to get on to one of the roads out of Belfast as quickly as possible, doesn't matter where they go, everywhere else will be nicer.

Belfast has to have it's own airport as does Derry/Londonderry. Derry looses a shed load of money and Belfast City can't take anything much bigger than a Cessna or the locals are getting their roofs blew off, yet Aldergrove (renamed Belfast International despite not being in Belfast :001_rolleyes: ) can't even get a few quid for a railway halt as the politicians would have to travel an extra 15minutes to get to it from Stormont and would prefer it wasn't there despite it being in the perfect location to be the one and only airport that the country actually needs.

I could go on, and on, and on..................

We would become the RUK, not the FUK, we will be the Remaining United Kingdom, we will not cease as a UK just because Scotland leaves.

As used earlier in the thread FUK means Former. If you prefer RUK, call it what you want but as it would no longer be united. How about LAP (London And Provinces)? Or SORE (Subjects of Royal England)?

Only having a laugh, by the way!

That's a thought you need to get out of your head. Don't mistake rugby banter or inflammatory press headlines for anything more than they are.

I have no doubt that many from the Northwest or Northeast of England would have the exact same view as Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish, in that it's the skewed management from Westminster that is disliked.

Why another runway or airport in London, when Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow or Edinburgh could be expanded to share the wealth?

Why HS2, when Scotland's main arteries in the north are still connected by single-carriageway roads? Somerset has great transport infra-structure doesn't it? Oh, maybe not. It comes down to self-determination and for the Scots this referendum is seen as a way of balancing things up.

Devolved powers have reduced some issues, and in the event of a No vote I could see more powers slowly become devolved to the Scottish parliament. But that will not remove the feeling among so many Scots that Westminster will still be holding the reins, restricting our region's growth while the south east benefits.

So, hatred for the English? No, I don't think so.

Rather nicely put, sir.

As used earlier in the thread FUK means Former. If you prefer RUK, call it what you want but as it would no longer be united. How about LAP (London And Provinces)? Or SORE (Subjects of Royal England)?

Only having a laugh, by the way!

Rubbish, England, Wales and Northern Ireland will still be united and continue to be the UK, its just that Scotland will have left.

I still think Great Britain will exist without Scotland

Well actually no it can't, but there will still be a United Kingdom they'll just have to change the description of who remains united.

But that's all a bit of a sideshow, what really matters is how everything actually works (or doesn't).

I have to be honest, up until now I really didn't care how it turns out but the more I've read, especially from the Scottish contributors, I really hope there isn't a split.

Increasingly I think it would be a terrible shame to loose what exists on these islands especially now the Irish Republic and the UK have settled their differences, how ironic if another fractious dispute were to flair up to replace it.