Tree Eats Grave

tockmal

I visited this Ash in the summer, gave the church a quote, never heard back from them, tried to phone them a couple of times.........nothing.

Just got a call yesterday to go ahead with the removal!!! In the quote I wrote I could get it down to ground level. I regret writing that now......I'm not sure how I'm gonna do this. I've done big removals in graveyards before, but its not the crown thats the problem as you can see.

I kinda feel a wee bit sorry for the person whose buried there.

This is a classic example of re-active tree management! Any thoughts on what to do regarding the grave area/ground level would be appreciated.

grave3.jpg.872b9d9fdbb7420a6add199b9983fc45.jpg

grave2.jpg.100ede8f0cd403dfee70dbfba87ace2d.jpg

grave.jpg.ebe587db3a5166ab770be2fabafc1d6d.jpg

i would write to the graveyard manager ( i forget what they are called) and explain that in order for you to remove this down to ground level that it will require them to first of all obtain permission from the graves owners ( the relatives/etc not the ones in situ ) and then also explain that you will have to have the railings and the grave monuments that are visible removed by them so that you are not held responsible for any damage caused to those parts and as for getting it down low its going to be a case of cut and hope i suppose that there is no further obstructions inside the actual wood as im sure you know marble and chainsaws do not mix and is a sure fire way to kill a chain. ..

hope this helps and do as you have done so already shed loads of photos of all aspects of surrounding damage is amazing how many "new" wobbly headstones are about after treework has been done lol ;)

i have done several simular to that one and have just taken the tree down as far as reasonably practical and one they actually use as a table for flowers and when it starts to rot plan to plant up

beware those vault tops are very easily broken

i would doubt that grave is attended or the tree would have probably been removed before now

I think it's a lovely tribute to the person(s) buried there...a tint of immortality and a irrefutable acknowledgment that all life in interconnected.

On the other hand, from an arborist that's also contracted to keep a few cemetaries people-friendly, it presents a very interesting challenge. It'll require gravesite reconstruction from below the ground up. Removal of both the fence and the markers to complete the job, replacement to the area after regrading and resurfacing.

Cost-plus, within reasonable profit margins?

The linear lines of the masonry/stone monuments will make tree collar removal easy, provided said monuments can be moved out of the way for the work but the iron fence stays will have to be sacrificed.

One simple option could be leaving a significant stump after removal, treating the xylem with a broadleaf herbicide to kill the roots and after a couple years, piece away the rotten remainders.

Overall however, I like the tree there doing what it's suppossed to do. Here we embalm, place the bodies in airtight metal coffins, insert in reinforced concrete cripts, engrave a few lies alongside important dates on granite, and leave a permanent intrusive legacy reminding others that man has been designed by God to forever develop the earth into shopping malls and interstate highways and open pit copper mines that poison the potential for biological longevity and make wars for the sake of increased oil profits and religious rightiousness.

Clearly in your case the tree has won (hands down) over anything man can mess-up - or it shows us that in a secular way that man can indeed rise again although not in the form and shape that the Pope tells us we will.

The linear lines of the masonry/stone monuments will make tree collar removal easy, provided said monuments can be moved out of the way for the work but the iron fence stays will have to be sacrificed.

One simple option could be leaving a significant stump after removal, treating the xylem with a broadleaf herbicide to kill the roots and after a couple years, piece away the rotten remainders.

Overall however, I like the tree there doing what it's suppossed to do. Here we embalm, place the bodies in airtight metal coffins, insert in reinforced concrete cripts, engrave a few lies alongside important dates on granite, and leave a permanent intrusive legacy reminding others that man has been designed by God to forever develop the earth into shopping malls and interstate highways and open pit copper mines that poison the potential for biological longevity and make wars for the sake of increased oil profits and religious rightiousness.

Clearly in your case the tree has won (hands down) over anything man can mess-up - or it shows us that in a secular way that man can indeed rise again although not in the form and shape that the Pope tells us we will.

Well said!:cheers:

Oakwilt,

I can't decide wether your a grumpy but good natured old pessimist or a melancholic soul who thinks too much.

Thanks for the suggestions people.