Funny but serious by all accounts!!

Adam Bourne

If you're using a SRT you can't use the other end of your rope to climb on and have a secondry anchor point with the same rope, not that many people use that method after collage. Maybe that's what's making people confused about the saftey of an SRT

Actually you could, assuming you're not using a base anchor. And that isn't whats confusing people

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read something tonight that really and honestly made sense, the person who said it I respect in all manors and from my point of view maybe one of the best climbers this forum has to offer!!

The thing is with SRTWP is it's new, every single climber or climbing technician in our industry that called them selfs experts have suddenly found there not experts anymore, because a new style or system of climbing has hit the shelves!!

IMO most climbers are like ordinary people who live there's life's day in day out and dread the thought of change!! There's heaps of climbers out there that still to this day are using the Prussic body thrust method!! I have nothing against that what's so ever. But there's reasons behind them still using it! Either they're comfortable with it or they really don't want to try anything new! Because they're scared of change?? Maybe?

What ever the reason that maybe, should it really justify trying to pick holes in every new method that our industry has to offer?

Evolution is a funny thing!! and maybe the mammoths sat down one day and argued amongst them selfs that it was time to loose the locks and bare all in the form of an elephant!!

You could even if you were using a base anchor.

I was thinking that?! No reason why you couldnt pull your tail up and use it SRT or DRT. However DRT would be more sensible as you could move it around easily rather than setting redirects and if you need to get the ground fast it is easily removed. Either way you still have that death loop though.. and Adam Im flattered but Im sure you are better :001_tongue::lol:

I think what Steve might have been getting at was using the retrieval side of your line when using a retrievable pulldown top tie in. That would be pretty useful as the tail of your main line would still always reach the deck and you wouldnt get the death loop in the way

Cracking video Adam. Dolly should make more safety "what if" videos. Kickback, chippers, etc?

With a base tie off (which would be the only nervous point for me) is it not still possible to back up your top anchor with a butterfly and karabiner on the standing part, with the working end passing through the krab? Should still be retrievable, but provides a redundancy if the base anchor suffers a failure.

It's only in my head so I may well be incorrect.

I'd love to try srt out one day before I commit to buying kit.

Cracking video Adam. Dolly should make more safety "what if" videos. Kickback, chippers, etc?

With a base tie off (which would be the only nervous point for me) is it not still possible to back up your top anchor with a butterfly and karabiner on the standing part, with the working end passing through the krab? Should still be retrievable, but provides a redundancy if the base anchor suffers a failure.

It's only in my head so I may well be incorrect.

I'd love to try srt out one day before I commit to buying kit.

Sure, that works..:001_smile:

I read something tonight that really and honestly made sense, the person who said it I respect in all manors and from my point of view maybe one of the best climbers this forum has to offer!!

The thing is with SRTWP is it's new, every single climber or climbing technician in our industry that called them selfs experts have suddenly found there not experts anymore, because a new style or system of climbing has hit the shelves!!

IMO most climbers are like ordinary people who live there's life's day in day out and dread the thought of change!! There's heaps of climbers out there that still to this day are using the Prussic body thrust method!! I have nothing against that what's so ever. But there's reasons behind them still using it! Either they're comfortable with it or they really don't want to try anything new! Because they're scared of change?? Maybe?

What ever the reason that maybe, should it really justify trying to pick holes in every new method that our industry has to offer?

Evolution is a funny thing!! and maybe the mammoths sat down one day and argued amongst them selfs that it was time to loose the locks and bare all in the form of an elephant!!

The notion of SRTWP as an evolution of climbing styles doesn't quite fit for me. Evolution is a lateral process, nothing evolves towards progressively superiority - it just gets as good as it needs to get to avoid getting dead (there's no such thing as progress huh Tim). besides, nothing evolves without a selection pressure. What would the selection pressure on climbers to use SRTWP be?

As an ex- competent but not that special climber safe in the warmth of my ivory tower SRTWP has all the hall marks of a counterculture rather than that of an evolution. :)

The notion of SRTWP as an evolution of climbing styles doesn't quite fit for me. Evolution is a lateral process, nothing evolves towards progressively superiority - it just gets as good as it needs to get to avoid getting dead (there's no such thing as progress huh Tim). besides, nothing evolves without a selection pressure. What would the selection pressure on climbers to use SRTWP be?

As an ex- competent but not that special climber safe in the warmth of my ivory tower SRTWP has all the hall marks of a counterculture rather than that of an evolution. :)

What a load of crap mate, the evolution of arborists had been happening for decades!! For anyone such as yourself not to see this is unbelievable!!

What where climbers using 20/25 years ago?? What changes they made 10 years after was phenomenal!! And 10/15 years later here we are!! It really does not take a genius to work out how beneficial SRTWP is on the body let alone the safety standards of work position!!

This is crazy that people still refuse to agree that we as an industry have seen the light!! Probably the last industry who use ropes to work from SRT!! Tell me Tony, where do you see this industry in the next 10/15 years from a climbing point of view??

Edited by Adam Bourne