(First post) Planting a native woodland, East Sussex

The worst to plant were the oaks because there roots were so deep- ended up digging 1foot pits for the oaks

I had to dig holes for everything so came up with this system of making a slit with a disc cutter off the plough, then two deep cuts at right angles to it with the spade and turn over a sod. Then when planting, put the roots in the hole and tumble the sod back in on top of the roots.

Second pic shows how I spaced the rows at two meters by using a chain marker off the front of the tractor, this also meant that the rows didn't have to be straight but kept the right spacing.

a94070f8-7cda-426d-942e-c0094723bbeb.jpg

8235165c-135f-4639-ad1c-941815b18baf.jpg

Edited by wrsni

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with 22 stakes and 18 tubes left over, plus about 4 shrubs (which I'll shove in the hedgerow tomorrow), it's done! May not be the biggest forest, or the best planted, but it's mine and now I can just watch it grow...*

Last one:

null_zpsb898d26c.jpg

* once we've gone round and tucked all the weed membrane in... Shouldn't take long :o

I had to dig holes for everything so came up with this system of making a slit with a disc cutter off the plough, then two deep cuts at right angles to it with the spade and turn over a sod. Then when planting, put the roots in the hole and tumble the sod back in on top of the roots.

Second pic shows how I spaced the rows at two meters by using a chain marker off the front of the tractor, this also meant that the rows didn't have to be straight but kept the right spacing.

a94070f8-7cda-426d-942e-c0094723bbeb.jpg

8235165c-135f-4639-ad1c-941815b18baf.jpg

Clever idea:thumbup1: I use a similar idea when I'm fencing- drag a chain behind the trator and post driver to get the same distance between posts.

Well, with 22 stakes and 18 tubes left over, plus about 4 shrubs (which I'll shove in the hedgerow tomorrow), it's done! May not be the biggest forest, or the best planted, but it's mine and now I can just watch it grow...*

Last one:

null_zpsb898d26c.jpg

* once we've gone round and tucked all the weed membrane in... Shouldn't take long :o

Well done, its rewarding seeing it all done- even though it might seem a bit of a drag half way through planting!

I do like the weed proof membrane you've used- I'm sure that will save a lot of maintenance in the next few years and really give the trees a good start.

Going back to the woodland i've just finished planting tomorrow to put a stock fence around it!

Looks good!

Like the disk on the International tractor too. We had a single ripper on the back of an elderly Ferrari and ran on the last set of wheel marks.

When I was a nipper in the 1970's we had a machine fitted to a County that firstly removed the top soil 18" wide by 4" deep using a PTO driven thing that looked like a giant toothed cotton reel, the 'screefer' as it was known. The second part was mounted behind on a flexible coupling. This looked like four splitting wedges X shaped which could rotate, it was heavily weighted and dug into the ground as the machine worked its way along. Each hole was 7" deep x 4" wide and 18" apart in good conditions and perfectly shaped for little treelets roots. We planted trees in every other hole. Thousands of them.......:big grin:

The trees are still going strong but the men and machines are mostly no more.

codlasher

Clever idea:thumbup1:

An idea born out of being seriously up against it, nothing like a bit of despair to get the old brain active!

The trees are still going strong but the men and machines are mostly no more.

That's a very deep and insightful quip there mate, with a bit of help it could go viral.

I like it very much.