Ascenders

crackoff

had to get up a tree today for a mate and decided that it was way too much like hard work doing as I always have (pulling myself up whilst walking the trunk (if that makes sense)) so once I was back on terra firma, decided it was time to get some mechanical help.

Thinking about left hand with foot strap, and right foot combo by petzl. Is this system any good? or should I look at other makes or set ups???

Cheers in advance, Martin

Climbing trees has never been easy!! ( depending on the tree ) you need to get fit and stay fit, then it seems easier , but in reality is still hard work . You can get gadgets and develop techniques to make it easier ( faster ) but it is still hard work !! especially when dragging a saw around ,whilst wearing waterproofs , on a wet windy day in an exposed tree , full of ivy !!!! all good character forming stuff and no need for the gym in the evening !! happy days ...

I still climb prussik and don't do as much climbing, binned going to the gym and rarely climb without spiked on dismantles .

Recently I've started using a pantin and ascender to get me up bigger stuff for removing broken limbs, say 40 ft straight stems.

Certainly a lot easier on the right application .

Still with my prussik on double rope , its alien to me to prepare so much just to get up there when previously it was a throw with my rope and bag, and hump my way up before the boys had fueled my saw lol

I still climb prussik and don't do as much climbing, binned going to the gym and rarely climb without spiked on dismantles .

Recently I've started using a pantin and ascender to get me up bigger stuff for removing broken limbs, say 40 ft straight stems.

Certainly a lot easier on the right application .

Still with my prussik on double rope , its alien to me to prepare so much just to get up there when previously it was a throw with my rope and bag, and hump my way up before the boys had fueled my saw lol

Ditto to that!

If you use a hitch climber/zigzag/spiderjack, a plain old pantin can make the world of difference especially if you master installing a friction saver from the ground. It aint srt but it makes you life a lot easier. I have some srt kit but prefer this method as it involves less kit and faff as I would switch to ddrt when at the top anyway.